Baby South Sea Pearls

P

pearltime

What exactly are they? Are they rejects or very young pearls? Do these pearls have much value?

Where did you see this term? I have seen the term used to refer to freshwater pearls - a scam. I would stay away from any seller with "baby South Sea pearls".
Do you have a link to this?

American Pearl is using the term to describe a small South Sea necklace - no difference in the pearls, just the size.
The listing on Shop.com is simply deceptive advertising. They are selling Chinese freshwater pearls that have nothing to do with South Sea...

If you search the internet, you may find pearls dubbed as "baby south sea". These are actually nice round freshwater pearls that are 5-10mm. Don't be deceived. They are not real SSP.

This doesn't surprise me at all. There appears to be a ton of deceptive advertising in regards to pearls and pearl type/quality, especially on the web.

Most of the time the term "Baby South Sea Pearls" is used fraudulently to try to hype freshwater pearls. However, when I was in Dubai at the World Pearl Conference, I was surprised when Josh from Atals South Sea Pearl used the term to refer to the small South Sea pearls they produce when training their grafters. He explained that they use smaller bead nuclei for training purposes, and thus smaller SS pearls are produced. He stated that often these pearls are sold as Akoya pearls by the Japanese. These "Baby South Sea" pearls are in the 7-8+mm size.

LOL Yeah, I knew you'd catch that right after I posted it.

I'm assuming you mean the luster since most of the time SS pearls are referred to as having more of a satiny luster. I'll take some pictures today of both. I have a few 8mm Baby South Sea that Colin (another gent from Atlas) sent me.

Yes, satin-y. exactly so.
So how would they pass as akoya - and why would they want them to?
Sort of apprentice pieces really

The reason Joseph gave me was because there really isn't a market for them since they are the same size as Akoya combined with the fact they aren't produced in large quantities. I've only been able to get a few from them since they sell most of them to Japan. They look close enough to Akoya that there are Akoya that can be matched with them.

Here's a photo of both. Can anyone tell the difference?

The pearl on the left is 8.24mm and the one on the right is 8.20mm.

AK-VS-SS.jpg

the one on the left looks slightly satiny compared to the one on the right (but I am going to get my eyes tested tomorrow morning)

With several times the nacre thickness, I think there could be a market for these smaller SS pearls with ample supply and an educated audience.

I think the one on the right is SS - to me it appears more satiny in luster with a hint of gold in the color. If I'm wrong, it's all due to my monitor :D

I see that same slight color difference in the right one, raj.

I can't see any difference. :confused: They look the same to me.

How thick is the nacre on the SS?

Gail

To my untrained eye, the one on the right has sharper reflection, so I think Akoya. Yet again it also reflects more "yellowish" tone starting from the bottom. But I use laptop, so I cant exactly trust my monitor. ... nor eyesight :D

Maria

Back