Baby Akoyas

Hi Jaye,

A 1.5mm Akoya pearl would most likely be a keshi, with its baroque shape, a by-product of the culturing process. Seems to me like calling it a "baby" is just a way enhance desirability. High quality keshi, from mussel or oyster are very desirable. Exactly how rare is difficult to say. I'm not aware of Akoya pearls that size with a bead inside. Please tell us more!

I'm curious as well. What would your do with 1.5 Akoyas. Do they come drilled?

8EAF8939-92D8-4D9B-A009-84B1F6B064DE.jpg

Hi Pattye,
They are not keshi. My mother had them made for me many, many years ago- so I could wear them casually as a chokerbecause they are tiny. I’mbackin Thailand again, and going through old things that I haven’t worn for years.
Also found old strands of graduated akoyas from Grandmother, and these are from the 40s , probably earlier.
Will post photos of those later.
Thanks for responding Pattye. Hope you are well!

That's a seriously cute necklace. It's crying out for a pendant or enhancer or some Baby Nurse layering.

Jaye, what a sweet necklace! I'm seeing a pendant enhancer too and looking forward to seeing photos of your other strands! We love seeing the older strands, especially when the owner knows the history behind them.

Jaye- I also have a strand of baby Akoya that was given to me in the 70’s. Mine is not quite as small as your’s, though. I also was given the strand of Biwa pearls around the same time, but don’t really know if they are the Japanese Biwa. The pink strand and pendant are a freshwater design from Pratima Designs in Maui. I don’t know how rare the little Akoya strands are, but there were a lot of things that incorporated tiny Akoya and seed pearls in them when I was growing up. I have/had pins, earrings, rings and pendants with tiny Akoya over the years.

7045C560-4AFF-490A-B75F-9A1A2385F47B.jpg

It's funny but 3 years ago I never would have put those three necklaces together. But since I've been hanging out on Pearl Guide Forum I love the mix and match look. I can never go back to matchy matchy pearls now. I love all the mismatched pearls that everyone layers on. They look so good.

I’m glad everyone’s getting a tickle out of these babies. I do layer them with other strands. I’m in Chiang Mai now, and this strand is the only one I bought with me because it’s so hot here. However, i think they look quite nice on its own. A luminous choker.
A japanese pearl dealer just told me that they are rare because of low productions. She showed me some gorgeous photos of 3-5mm akoyas from Vietnam that are quite wow!
Jeg, your strands are lovely!

Jeg, my mother gave me that strand as a teenager; she wanted something bigger, but knew I wouldn’t wear them as I was such a tomboy.
These babies were perfect with jeans!

Thank you all for your kind words. I love it that my mother is living vicariously through this forum. She did so love pearls, especially baroques.

Those are some sweet pearls! 1.5mm is super tiny! I've got some small pearls that were passed down from my grandmother, but the smallest is about 4mm, so I can't imagine how cute your pearls must be! I love small pearls. I've been meaning to take these pearls apart, remove the less lustrous ones, and restring but haven't had the heart to take them apart when I think my grandmother probably strung them. So they sit in my drawer... :(

IMG_20180704_232410.jpgIMG_20180704_232431.jpg

Back