Australian akoyas

Hi Zeide,
So that means the amount of nacre on the bead is what is produced in approx 1 year? About how much could that be? From previous discussions it seems it would be less than 1mm?
Pattye

Hi Pattye,

If it were even 0.5mm of the radius that would be amazing news that they certainly would have stated if it were true, which it probably is not. However, these are larger pinctadas and seem to be of the radiata kind that grows somewhat faster especially with some growth hormone help, so calling them akoyas is probably more a figure of speech referring to the nucleation and treatment processes as well as the final look of the product. Anyway, it appears that the Japanese are now competing with the Australians over the market in large akoyas after they already lost the market in small akoyas to the Chinese.

Zeide

So, Zeide, do you think that kind of mussel would take multiple beads? This is all so fascinating. Wish the article had more pictures of the actual pearls.
Pattye

Hi Pattye,

Since they are calling their product akoya, I assume that this is first and foremost due to the nucleation technique. That, in turn, indicates no more than two large bead implants per shell.

Zeide

The General Manager of Port Stephens Pearls told me that the Coral Sea Pearls project in Hervey Bay was entirely dependant on Port Stephens Pearls. He also told me the project was a failure.

I'm not sure what to think about that. I'm going to ask him a few more questions.

well it will be interesting to see how the Japanese handle the Aussies taking over the market for larger akoyas. We all know the propaganda they have spewed against the Chinese now I'm sure the Aussies will get some heat.

It will be more difficult this time, the background is different.

China was known for flooding the market with cheap freshwater pearls. Australia is known for its expensive south sea pearls.

Australians are not ready to produce akoyas in large quantities yet, they are not a threat at this stage. I think they will focus on the domestic market in the coming years. Plus, the investors on this projects are Japanese ...probably looking at cleaner alternatives to their increasingly polluted bays.

There is another interesting endeavour to watch at the other end of the country in the Abrolhos islands and in Shark Bay: cultured black pearls with indigenous P. margaritifera.

I feel this is a very smart move on the part of the Japanese investors. They have found a great resource to capitalize on and it will be very interesting to watch their progress.

I am really interested in to see what the luster is like based on the warmer water temperatures in that area.

Hi, me again.

Here is a picture from the company in charge of the Port Stephens Pearls pearl farm development (can't remember its name, I'll try to find it and post the name).

On the left, a pearl grown in Port Stephens. On the right, a Japanese akoya. Same cultivation time (or so they say).

I guess the water temperature has something to do with it, but from my little experience it doesn't explain such a difference.

cut.jpg

oh, I almost forgot. The Japanese akoya is obviously bleached, but its Australian counterpart doesn't seem to have suffered any post-harvest treatment.

Hi FX,

I still wonder about the "akoya" designation, though, the Aussie nacre looks like fine white radiata. Pinctada martensii is inherently colored. Albinos with pinkish white nacre are very rare in that species and have been basically bred out of the Japanese hatchery stock entirely. Still, just the briefest look at the Australian cultured pearl doubl? (i.e. 30% nacre or better) shows that the Aussie product is clearly superior. It does not have any lavender-pinkish rhodium-vapor bling, though, so they are not quite up to the capital M yet.

Zeide

Would you be able to distinguish the shells?

Here are a few photos from the PSP website. I have tried to compare the radiata and the imbricata on google images but they all look the same to me.

I thought the radiata sp only grows in the persian gulf, the red sea and in the mediterranean. They say on the PSP website it is an indigenous species they're using.

P1010044.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010067.JPG

pearls_wideweb__430x285.jpg

Last edited:
Hi FX,

If the bottom picture is their hamaage, then they do look like martensii only that martensii are not native to Australia. Pinctada radiata occurs throughout the entire Pacific and Tahiti and Hawaii were once famous for their white pearls from radiatas long before anybody took interest in the black pearls. Pearl Harbor was named after the Pearl River in whose estuary the finest white radiata pearls of the entire Pacific used to be found. This has always been attributed to the rich freshwater inflow and low salinity of the bay. Check Pearls of Pearl Harbor for details.

Zeide

I have sent a little questionnaire to the General Manager of Port Stephens Pearls. Will post the answers here in a few days.

I have also written to a scientist who's worked on the farm in Hervey Bay, but he's away for a couple of weeks. I'm interested to hear his thoughts on the subject.

Austrailian akoya

Austrailian akoya

After reading the article, I to am unclear why they are giving them the "Akoya" designation. I wonder if it is not more a marketing manuever than anything else. "Akoya" are well established in the marketplace. By calling them "Akoya" and by producing 8-10mm pearls, they instantly gain credibility and high market values.

But can they get away with that if the only similarities is the nucleation process and the use of a saltwater oyster?

I didn't notice in the article any reference to the type of oyster they are using.

Hi all,

Here are the answers to my little questionnaire. Questions are answered by Damian M. Ogburn, the General Manager for Port Stephens Pearls, who is also owner of Ogcorp Systems.

I'm afraid some points are not addressed in the questionnaire, namely the exact species being used for cultivation, and a question hasn't been clearly understood (post-processing treatment). As I read the answers, more questions come to mind...

What is the role of Ogcorp Systems in the pearl farming operations in eastern Australia?

Ogcorp is my own company that provides consultancy and equipment design. We have a range of projects in Australia and overseas. It is likely that my partners will assist in some of the equipment supply to Port Stephens Pearls. We have done so in the past.

What is the current production volume? (pearls produced/year)
Production is the lowest since our first harvest in 2002. This is because of a long and arduous approval process for the leases to undertake pearl farming in Port Stephens. It was very political and although government agencies, universities and most of the community were very supportive of the development there were 4 noisy devils, mostly over 65 that stirred up trouble. We have only recently obtained development approval for 30 ha of lease in Port Stephens and are in the process of rebuilding stock.

What is the average culturing time? (after nucleation/seeding). The average nacre thickness?
Average culture time from spawning to harvest of pearls is approximately 3 years.
Nacre thickness is greater than 2mm

what is the average size of Port Stephens pearls?
8mm

I have seen on the Ogcorp Systems website that nacre is produced faster in akoya oysters in Port Stephens than in Japan (thicker nacre on the same period of time). How is this explained?
Absence of disease, good water quality and food supply. East coast estuaries of Australia are historically a prime region for oyster farming

Higher water temperature?
Not necessarily. Water temperature ranges from 14?C to 23?C

Is the luster of PSP as high as the Japanese akoya? (it is known that pearls grown in colder water produce more lustrous pearls due to slower nacre production).
Lustre appears to better than Japanese Akoya. There have now been three harvests of pearls from the lease established at Wanda Head, with these pearls receiving world acclaim for being of the highest quality. The pearls that have been produced at the Wanda Head lease have been shown to a number of pearl brokers and jewelers worldwide, all of whom commented on the quality of the pearls. Some experts have stated that they have not seen similar quality in Akoya pearls for 40 years.

Are nucleation workers Australians? How many workers do PSP employs?
We have some Australians who we have trained as seeders. At our previous peak we employed 27 workers. We expect it to be double that in a few years time.

How many times are single oysters nucleated? multiple beads per nucleation? (I suppose it's only one nucleation, and a maximum of two beads per oyster, just wanted to make sure...)
Your supposition is correct.

Any use of growth hormones to speed up the growth of pearl oysters?
None

What post-processing treatments are used, if any?
Oysters are placed on recovery leases and closely monitored

What are the challenges that PSP faces? (challenges related to the region of production, diseases, costs of production, local laws...)
Floods and possibly approval process for new leases in some sensitive areas

Do you fear competition created with the increasing quality of Chinese akoya pearls?
Not sure about this. ‘Akoya disease’ has been suspected to occur in China. Massive industrial growth will continue to impact coastal water quality which greatly hinders ability to grow quality Akoya pearls.

Are your pearls destined to a local market, do you intend to sell these pearls worldwide? I have seen in an article that the aim is to sell these pearls to Japan where production has decreased.
We plan to sell worldwide

What are your objectives in 10 years?
Production of more than 1 million pearls per year.

Do you intend to expand your pearl farms to other locations? Are there any plans in that sense?
Yes. Possibly to other suitable sites on the east Australian coast

In what sense is the venture in Hervey Bay a failure?
PSP supplied the spat and equipment for the operation. The operation failed because of poor management, inexperience and flood.

What were the respective roles of PSP and Aquafarms Queensland in the Hervey Bay venture?
We were not greatly involved in the operation and regret having being involved at all. The owner of the Hervey Bay operation has moved out.

An article published in August 2004 on the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry website says there was a similar project in Moreton Bay. How is this project doing? Who is driving that project?
Not sure about this. There were some trials by local farmers in Moreton Bay with stock sourced from us but we have not pursued that avenue.

Are there any other projects further north?
None for Akoya Pearls

I suppose the coast along the Great Barrier Reef is an interesting area but the fact that it is a protected area poses some problems?
There were some trials further north but results were not encouraging. Approval process in Great Barrier Reef is also too difficult.

I heard the local species of pearl oysters in Hervey Bay was larger than regular Pinctada imbricata. Is this true? Are they of the radiata kind?
Yes both Pinctada radiata and Pinctada maxima can be found in Hervey Bay. Pinctada radiata can grow faster in Hervey Bay due to the extended period of warm water but I am not aware of any evidence that they can reach a greater final size. On average they may be larger and I have seen some very big specimens from orpheus island.

I also heard they grow P. maxima? Are these indigenous to the Hervey Bay region? How successful is their cultivation?
Yes they are indigenous. Not successful culture.

Last edited:
Great exclusive! Did he mention current production, at all? What does he mean by "lowest since 2002"? 50,000 or 100,000 range? Even at a million oysters it is still a relatively small industry.

Back