Are these south sea pearls?

kookey22

Hi! Newbie to this site and to pearls. Online selling has been a thing here in the Philippines for quite some time. An online seller offered these to me and claimed to be south sea pearls. I just would like to ask yohr opinion regarding the items. Thanks.

Please help identify

Please help identify

Hi. Ive come across a set of pearls being sold online. They're only set in what they call micron settings which I think is gold plated. I was told that they're south seas. What do you think? Thanks 😀

Hi kookey22,

Please post photos! Or better yet, the link to the listing. I realize you don't have them in your possession but this is simply not enough information.

I merged your two threads-- let's keep it all on this thread, please. I have to approve your first few posts so please be patient. :)

Hi. Thank you and so sorry about the multiple posts. I was using my phone in browsing and the toolbar to add pictures didn't show. I'm now using a desktop to make things better. ;)

Anyway, here is a picture I was sent. I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you :) received_10210417106770423.jpg

The color isn't natural. I can't tell whether they are dyed freshwater pearls or chocolate Tahitians which are also color treated (bleached to lighten the color). Light golden SSP can also be dyed to resemble the more valuable dark golden SSP, but that is not the color in that photo.

I think you must be right about the findings being plated. Are the stones CZ? It wouldn't make sense to set diamonds in those settings.

I would ask about what the metal is stamped. If it's plated gold over sterling silver they should be stamped 925.

If they are not even silver, they are probably imitation pearls-- "shell pearls" and "south sea shell pearls" is a common name for fake pearls that imitate SSP.

Last edited:
The settings are apparently 5 micron settings. The stones aren't diamonds. They seem to be titus, which are popular here in the Philippines. I haven't asked what the metal is yet though.

The color resembles chocolate but I don't think they are Tahitians. Apparently there are a few fish bites, which would make it seem like real pearls vs imitation ones. The shape also isn't a perfect round. There are also minimal variations as to color between the pearls.

Thank you for your opinion! Nice to hear from an expert. :)

The seller hasnt replied yet as to the base metal. Makes me think they aren't valuable at all since there's no price difference between loose pearls and those on the settings. I can have it set on gold but at a higher price.

The settings would'nt really matter since I plan to buy it loode and have the goldsmith set it based on my design.

I just want to ask re the quality of the pearls since they were marketed as SSPs. 😀

A high quality SSP would not be put in a cheap finding. It wouldn't make sense.

The photo is a bit fuzzy and there are multiple light reflections that make it hard to see any flaws that may exist on the surface of the pearls. I'd also want to see the pearls from multiple angles as the blemishes may be on the sides of the pearl. It would be less important if the flaws were at the back and out of sight but you'd still want to know if there are flaws there.

Also, pearls should always be judged against a white background.

In that photo, the reflections of light are not sharp at the edges, but then SSPs do not generally have as high luster as akoyas.

What is it that you like about them? The color?

A suggestion: If you decide to buy them, be sure you can return them for a refund if you don't like them. And then consider the cost of shipping them back with tracking.

Yes, I like the color. According to the seller, they aren't dyed. Hopefully, everything will work out if I do decide on getting them. Thanks for all your advice!

If you buy them, please update and post photos!

That isn't a natural color for SSP, though. They must be dyed.

At the Pearl Guide ruckus two years ago, I raided Jeremy Shepherd's stash of brown Tahitians, and managed to pair up two to make studs. These are dark brown in color, with slight green overtones. The color is natural.

Brown_Tahitian.jpg

Below they are next to my multi-colored Tahitian bracelet. The bracelet pearl next to the clasp would also be considered to be a natural brown Tahitian, just not quite as dark.

Next is a photo of the earrings drying at Pearl Paradise, as they drilled and set my new studs on the spot.

Attachments

• ChocBrac_0714.jpg
    ChocBrac_0714.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 34
  • ChocDrying_140026.jpg
    ChocDrying_140026.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 41
Red, do you think those 4 pearls the OP posted, all the same shade, are a natural color? Consider scarcity, consider the findings.

I agree. Your pearls are not the same shade as the ones the seller is showing her.

You know, I don't have an issue with dyed pearls. I don't even have an issue with fake pearls!
I just have an issue with people being told that pearls are one thing when they are another. And I could not buy from a seller that did that.

I was hoping I had taken a picture of the entire small bag of brown Tahitians that Jeremy had collected, but I didn't. None of them were that color. They were all shades of brown, and none really were identical. And, this is what he had pulled together over a period of years, hoping to make a necklace. But, the color is so rare, I think he gave up. Even the two that I paired up are not identical in color. One is a bit grayer than the other.

Rare indeed! Very special.

Also, yours are Tahitians, not SSP as this seller is claiming the chocolate pearls are.

Hi. Thank you for your input. I too have no problem with dyed pearls. But the seller passing them off as natural is another thing. Either she doesn't know her pearls/stocks or she just wants to ask a higher price for them. Anyway, if I do decide to get them, I'll post pictures here. Expert opinion very much appreciated! Thanks 😀

They are definitely dyed south sea pearls. I've seen an Etsy vendor based in Manila who sells dyed south sea pearls (mostly chocolate and pistachio).

Rare indeed! Very special.

Also, yours are Tahitians, not SSP as this seller is claiming the chocolate pearls are.

Now, if Agustus is reliable then I can confidently say that ssp can be found in bronze/tan naturally as well. But it's a very rare color.

Back