Are these Kasumi pearls?

Hi Sarah,
Nice to hear from you on this thread. Thanks for the clarification on this issue, and the wonderful photos.
I want the pearls in photo 3....

Hi Sarah - Thank you for the photos. To me, the strand on the second photo looks as pretty as the one on the first photo. Is there a way for a consumer to differentiate a Japanese Kasumi strand from a Chinese Kasumi strand?

Also, any major differences in terms of wholesale pricing?

Thanks.

In Chinese it is called Copper Rust Stain.

If you do a search here for that phrase I think it was discussed here about a year ago.

Hi Jeremy - I did a search on "Copper Rust Stain" but was unable to find it :(.

Nerida: Thanks, pearls in photo number three, all yours! Still giggling about the skype silliness in HK.
Space Needle: There are differences in the overall shapes between the "chinese kasumi" and the Japan Kasumi pearls. They would be difficult (for me) to describe in words. The best thing I can say to that at this moment is to look at thousands of them. And when that is not an option maybe return to the photos posted. Obviously source and the trust in your supplier means a great deal in the absence of photos or comparison pearls. Yes price is a big factor. The largest and finest "chinese kasumi" pearls will still probably be more expensive than the top end of Japan Kasumi baroques, but by a slim margin (this will not be the case a year from now). As China produces more and more of these type of pearls, the prices will continue to drop, even for the larger sizes (anyone see a pattern here?). As for the Japan Kasumi pearls, honestly we are hoping that the farmers will be able to hang on through this crunch time, and there is very little chance, if any that the price per pearl will drop, due to the cost of production/labor in Japan being so much higher than in China. In short, soon enough you will be able to buy a baroque Chinese fresh water that looks very similar, and is nearly double the size for half the price of a fresh water Japanese pearl.
I hope that answers your question. Feel free to let me know if you have any more..
Thanks, Sarah

Thank you Sarah. The strand #3 is beautiful indeed. I sincerely hope they won't over produce these pearls.

Care for an odd question?

Does anyone know whether gold foil adheres to pearls?

[don't care for the slime, but creative gilding is another matter!]

Sarah, you mean you're giving me those pearls?? They are very pretty, as are the No 1 strand, obviously..
SpaceNeedle - I am sure we will indeed see a lot more of these pearls over time.
Valeria, I know a very unique pearl vendor in Shanghai who does the most amazing things with gold and pearls... I should ask her!

Valeria, I know a very unique pearl vendor in Shanghai who does the most amazing things with gold and pearls... I should ask her!

Please do! Perhaps she might even care to post a piece or two down here?

I keep telling her about the forum, and I know she checks in as a lurker every now and then...
She is the only pearl vendor in China I know who knows about Kasumi pearls.

Just sent her an email, Valeria... now I really do need to get to bed!! Way too late to still be up working!

Back