Anyone ever heard of Sakata Pearls in Ginza Tokyo?

C

Casey.R

I saw some pearls in an antique store and the box said Sakata cultured pearls, Ginza, Tokyo and then something in Japanese. Has anyone heard og this manufacturer?

Sakata pearls is a company (now defunct I believe) that dealt in pearls in the early 20th century. If the pearls are indeed Sakata, they would presumably be an antique.
Did you happen to buy them? They could be quite valuable if in good condition.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I didn't buy them but am considering it. I wanted to find out a bit more about who the company was first. There were two items I saw by Sakata and the one I wanted was a set of cuff links and three matching lapel pins.
Thanks.

I checked around and have not been able to locate any information about the company. Even doing a web search really does not reveal anything. If I can come across more information I will post it for you.

Sakata Pearl Co. ltd. Ginza Tokyo Japan

Sakata Pearl Co. ltd. Ginza Tokyo Japan

I just purchased the Sakata Pearl Co. Ltd. Genuine Cultured Pearls in a red and gold flowered box in excellent condition. There are 48 white pearls with a gold clasp with no information on the clasp. Each pearl is hand knotted. I paid $10.00 for them. I thought it was a great price, only because my mother has a strand just like them and they are beautiful. I was looking up the company name on the internet and, of course, found this site so answered your question. I am happy with my find.;)
Sincerely, nannlaw

Sakata Pearl Co. Ltd.

Sakata Pearl Co. Ltd.

jshepherd said:
Sakata pearls is a company (now defunct I believe) that dealt in pearls in the early 20th century. If the pearls are indeed Sakata, they would presumably be an antique.
Did you happen to buy them? They could be quite valuable if in good condition.

I am pleased to have found your web site. I inherited a set of 3 lapel pins with Black Pearls on them. They came into my posession in a box labeled "Sakata Pearl Co. Ltd. - Genuine Cultured Pearls". They are in absolutely MINT condition. I have no use for them and was wondering about their age and value. If anyone can help me, please e-mail sealger78@yahoo.com. I appreciate it.:)

Sakata Pearls

Sakata Pearls

Why can I find no information on this company?! I have researched trademarks in the US and Japan, but have found nothing related to this company. Over the last couple of years I have received several questions about this brand, aside from those posted here on this forum. But I have found no reference to them in any texts, records, or otherwise, save for the little piece I have previously posted - they sold pearls on Japan in the earlier 1900's. Anybody...anybody?! Maybe someone from Japan? I have been stuck on this one for quite some time and even brought it up with a supplier in Kobe that did not know the name...

sakata pearls

sakata pearls

I have a double strand of sakata pearls still in the box they also have a certificate of guarantee,the address on the certificate says,SAKATA PEARL CO.(USA.)LTD. The Pittsfield Building 55 East Washington Street Chicago,Illinois 60602.Does anyone know what they are worth?And where could i sell them? I would be glad to send picts of them.

Sakata Pearls

Sakata Pearls

I just saw your question about Sakata Pearl Company. I don't really know much about it but I have some information that might help. My in-laws lived in Japan during that late 50's and early 60's. My father-in-law had a pair of pearl cuff links and a tie pin that was bought from the Sakata Pearl Company, Ltd. I stil have the certificate of guarantee from the company. I'm sure they were bought in Japan. The address listed on the certificate was:
#7 2-chome Kyobashi Chuo-ku Tokyo
tel (28) 9280. 9025. (56) 1790. 7322. I hope this tidbit will help. I was looking up the company myself when I came across your posting on this forum page.

This would be the Sakata Pearl that I have looked for (in vain) for quite some time. The US based Sakata is not the same company. I think the Japanese company must have gone out of business. Neither of the telephone numbers work now, and I do not see any listing at the address.

I have found it strange so many people have mentioned owning pieces for this company (one of the most common PM questions I have received concerning pearls from Japan), yet I have found nothing relating to the company online or off.

A a bit sketchy, but Ueno Katsuzo was born in 1932. In 1963, he went to Chicago with his brand Sakata Pearl and established a subsidiary. He eventually ended up living in Chicago. Company ended in 1994.

LOL - no, not a trade secret. I'm only a lover of pearls from way back and besides my middle name is actually Pearl. It helps to read Japanese though.

SAKATA Pearl and Jewelry Co

SAKATA Pearl and Jewelry Co

In 1984 my mother bought several items from Sakata Pear and JewerlCo LTD in Tokyo. I think it was at Pony Company. I have searched but can find no details other than that. There is a website but it only mentions Gilbralter and Madrid. Has anyone any further information?

I saw some pearls in an antique store and the box said Sakata cultured pearls, Ginza, Tokyo and then something in Japanese. Has anyone heard og this manufacturer?

I know Sakata. I lived in Japan 1971 to 1975. Navy. Sakata Pearls were highyly recommended by a Japanese friend so I went up to Tokyo-met with company representative and they designed my necklace/bracelet with me. Choker (4 strand) and bracelet so I could extend the length of the necklace beyond the choker-when I wanted. They are beautiful. Sakata registered them for me. I came across your posting because today I am trying to organize my jewelery for my will. I wanted to get an idea of the value.

I met both of the brothers who owned Sakata. One was in Chicago and was a champion water skier. The other was in Tokyo and I went to his shop when I was in the US Navy 1967. They were both gentlemen and treated me very well. I was treated to dinner and nightclubs in Tokyo which were among the best evenings of my life. I purchased 4 strands of pearls of the highest quality. An 8 mm uniform strand, a graduated strand with a 1 cm pearl in the middle, and 2 uniform strands of about 7 mm size. They were for my mother whose name was Pearl but now belong to my wife and twin daughters. I spent about $900 for these. The evening with Mr. Sakata cost a few hundred at least.

Great story. Who knew we would keep getting information on Sakata? :)

Back