Anybody recognize clasp mark?

TrinidadBen

d5b54d6b-bffd-4728-9e30-d94305b9050dsoto_04074~2.jpg

My girlfriend wants a pearl necklace, and I'd prefer to buy a higher quality used than low quality new.

If I knew the maker/designer of this strand, I could Google around. Anybody recognize this maker's mark? Kind of looks like an oyster to me. Obviously not the Mikimoto oyster.

Thank you for your time and considerations.

I think the luster on these pearls are excellent, but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for.

I am very open to suggestions on buying vintage pearl necklaces. Thank you.

Hi, Welcome to Pearl Guide!

A lot of necklaces use generic clasps-- the mark being the maker of the clasp, not the necklace.
The jump ring on the clasp is not well soldered and could break open.

Also, the way the necklace is finished is not good quality. A good necklace should have a little loop of French wire (also called gimp) over the thread where it meets the clasp. This protects the thread and keeps it clean. Dirty silk is weakened silk.
This leads me to think this is not a high quality necklace.

If you post what your budget is for the necklace, maybe we can help find you a nice one online that is within your budget. Used pearls are always iffy. (That being said, I have found some lovely vintage akoyas at a consignment shop-- but that was just luck!)

You should think about how long you want the necklace to be and how large the pearls. Also whether you prefer freshwater or akoya. Akoyas cost more but have sharper pluster and are fully round; freshwaters may not be completely round. Many ladies (like me) even prefer baroque pearls.

Finally whether you desire a graduated pearl necklace or not-graduated. The vintage ones tend to be graduated in size, with a larger central pearl.

And have a look at this thread as you consider size; a small increase in mm of diameter can actually make a significant difference in the overall size of the pearl:

Comparative pearl sizes-- how much difference does 1mm larger really make?

View attachment 463628
My girlfriend wants a pearl necklace, and I'd prefer to buy a higher quality used than low quality new.

If I knew the maker/designer of this strand, I could Google around. Anybody recognize this maker's mark? Kind of looks like an oyster to me. Obviously not the Mikimoto oyster.

Thank you for your time and considerations.

I think the luster on these pearls are excellent, but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for.

I am very open to suggestions on buying vintage pearl necklaces. Thank you.
Hello. Is Rangers Company the only way to get (goods) Necklace, rings and trinkets ?

Back