Another plea to explain water and orient

LOL! The Paspley Police kept a very close eye on me!!! :D
We'll, as participant in previous threads on the subject and instigator of much of the head scratching here concerning overly liberal use of the term 'orient', Blaire's pearl (or Blaire's photo) takes the cake. I agree with Pattye?please tell us whatever you can about that one?

Question: I know Cortez pearls have orient, but can they also have water??

That's a phenomenal example, Blair.

Water is a rare attribute in pearls. I haven't noticed the water quality in Sea of Cortez, but their defining characteristic is orient. I imagine that Douglas may have seen a hint of it in pearls allowed to stay longer in the shell. Perhaps he'll chime in?

The photo I posted is from Paspaley's "specials" in the Darwin office, a museum quality collection of incredible pearls that could be for sale if the right price came along. Probably offered to high-end designers. We were shown some custom orders that were waiting to be sent to designers of haute couture jewelry. On seeing them, I felt haute and had to fan myself after viewing them! :cool:

So according to the GIA the overtone of a pearl can be orient. That clears everything up.;)
Jean
When you write the book, that is pretty much the end of the story. Same with the British and world history.

The term orient, (originating in natural pearls from the Middle East) is just too romantic a concept not to continue to be applied to our modern-day pearls, as Josh stated. One might term it a natural evolution of language. But tradition is another matter, and application varies from region to region as evidenced by the countless contradictions on the matter in Strack (we've been through all this before, however?).

The photo I posted is from Paspaley's "specials" in the Darwin office, a museum quality collection of incredible pearls that could be for sale if the right price came along.
Is it a cultured pearl, keshi, or??

That magnificent Paspaley pearl is probably a keshi or natural, do you remember, Blaire? No doubt, I would feel haute looking at them too!:D

I agree, can't say I have seen water in any of my Sea of Cortez pearls either.
Perhaps in some of the "white" ones? I don't have any of those.

Almudena was wearing a Sea of Cortez keshi bracelet the day I met her and Steve. Now I am wishing I had taken a closer look to see if I could observe water. The orient was magnificent, however, and very colorful!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Water is really, really rare. Its absence is not an indicator of a lack of quality on the part of the pearl. You are more likely to see it on naturals, probably due to the fact that the oyster was completely undisturbed.

Some of the specials were keshi and some were nucleated. There were nucleated pearls that had water, but they had something like a 50% coating of nacre, so they might as well have been naturals.

I truly wish I could have hid you guys in my pocket so you could have seen the workrooms. I'll never forget the experience.

By the way, did I tell you that I waitressed at a mine tour yesterday? :eek:

Almudena was wearing a Sea of Cortez keshi bracelet?
As I first truly appreciated your keshi bracelet 'La Almudena' (or perhaps more properly, 'Poe Te Almudena') under the close scrutiny of the lens, a photo session is merited on the Cortez keshis. Should be able to get to this early next week!

Blaire,

Were you at the tourmaline mines??????

Pattye

Steve,

That will be great to have photos of the keshi bracelet! Thanks in advance!

Pattye

Back