Alternate uses for FW pearls.

Ooh! I have a 16" strand of coin pearls from Druzy and I can't decide what to do with them. Does the necklace look good in person? I was considering stringing it up, but I thought it might look a little awkward.

(Since a picture is worth 1000 words)
IMG_1536.jpg

gemologist,

Adorning textiles with pearls is a hoot.. the Blouse looks nice.... the soaps look like a lot of fun..

cheers
Ashby

Yeah callire, totally.
What I did was I made them into necklace for my wife and did a toggle clasp, but to make the clasp work (and to make the necklace a good 18-19 inches, I added one 6mm round pearls to both ends)

I have been debating making some with some tourmaline beads instead of knots to add some color and make it easier to make in general.
LINK

Callire - I find that coin pearls look best with "separators" - small beads or gems between the pearls as it seems to help the pearls sit flat... your strand is lovely, and would look great strung!

I needed a new light pull in the bathroom recently and so I made this - the drop is about three feet and then there is about another 18 inches twisted and knotted to form the handle
They are lavender/purple

Last edited:
WENDY !
That's fabulous - thanks so much for the photo.
Now at last I can use the pearls that didn't quite make the grade for my jewellery.
Hooray !
And yet another way of driving my poor husband nuts.....
(N.C. Nuts that is....:D)

Fantastic. I had one for my pull in my living room. I am going to start making some using strong monofilament.. I still haven't figured out what goes at the very end though, I want to make them affordable to the commoners :) So, even though I like that idea ALOT, I don't think it something I would mass produce :)

I throw the pearls that didn't make the cut into a plastic crate. I gave a bag full each to a couple of the girls at my sons school, they were so excited! lol
I think they would look great in a brandy balloon or other nice glass container, you could fill it with water to really bring out the colour. I'd do that if I had the room for it on my coffee table.

You trying to get your son a couple girlfriends? LOL

One of these days I'm going to have a whole curtain made of pearls ... sigh. When I get my own place, maybe.

I was just about to say curtain! :D

Ok, here's one: epoxy mixed in small batches. a table with a "grabby" but not too porous texture. Button/baroque/biwa shaped pearls. fine grout. A lip to put around the edge flush with the top surface.

How awesome would that be, eh? Pearl furniture!

I agree. I think rubbing the surface of the table would lower your blood pressure! ;)

I have been working on an idea for quite a while that involves making tiles with the pearls using undrilled unbleached pearls of natural color "en masse' to come up with outdoorsy scenes. I just haven't gotten around to actually doing it, besides the fact that I would have to charge something like $150 per tile, and my talents for such things probably aren't commiserate with the pricing.

Also, I have been doing some research on the cosmetic uses for pearl powder. Apparently, it helps with moisturizing, but then all the claims of that sort I can find come from sources selling the stuff, so I discount it a bit. Either way I am probably going to come out with a pearl powder mix for cosmetic makers.

I have been selling the pearls by themselves at flea markets lately. They really do make a fantastic gift, also, when I was traveling all over the country selling cookware, I would always keep a few in my pocket and give them to children who paid attention to my demonstration. Unfortunately, even though they attract alot of attention, nobody has done any real marketing, so people have no idea what a good price is on them, so I end up selling them for just about cost.

Back