Abalone Gone "Buggy"

I love it.

Very fun! While grasshoppers/crickets are not the most iridescent of insects, I wonder how cool it would look for someone to try the same idea with a beetle or dragonfly - something that does have those amazing colors in nature.

I wonder how cool it would look for someone to try the same idea with a beetle or dragonfly - something that does have those amazing colors in nature.
Ask and ye shall receive! These objects are of recent creation by Moana Pearls in Oakura, NZ from their distinctly iridescent Paua species.

Attachments

• Creatures.jpg
    Creatures.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 46
Love, love, love that spider...
John

I'm not generally a big fan of the pearl animal jewelry, but the shape of the grasshopper pearl is just perfect for that setting!

I love the use of the small black pearls as a foil for the Paua bug. Would love to have the spider. I was terrified of them as a child, result of a run-in with a black widow, but now I'm fascinated. The pearl makes it a perfect pet.

barbie

P.S. When my aunt from Maine was visiting we told her to be careful where she puts her hands outside the house, "Look out for black widow spiders!" She said "What's a black widow?" We seriously thought she was kidding at first.

Those are all lovely pieces - thanks for posting, J Marcus and Smetzler! What creative use of the shape and color of the pearls to form them into these lovely creations. My favorite one is the spider too!

I agree. What a great thread. Who knew you could find so many clean designs? ;)

I love the use of the small black pearls as a foil for the Paua bug. Would love to have the spider. I was terrified of them as a child, result of a run-in with a black widow, but now I'm fascinated. The pearl makes it a perfect pet.

barbie

P.S. When my aunt from Maine was visiting we told her to be careful where she puts her hands outside the house, "Look out for black widow spiders!" She said "What's a black widow?" We seriously thought she was kidding at first.

Barbie,

I thought Black Widows were in Australia only?

I thought Black Widows were in Australia only?

Nope they are found all over north american - but you'd be pretty lucky(or unlucky) if you saw one.

I do love the use abby in the grasshopper piece, it works perfectly.

They're everywhere! They're everywhere! Oh nooo...

They're everywhere! They're everywhere! Oh nooo...

Actually, Black Widows are as close to being a world-wide species as there is. I understand they're not found in Antarctica or Alaska though. . . I've read that in Australia they're called "Red Tops." I guess that being "down under" makes it all very confusing. . . :rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised at the enthusiasm for spiders here! :confused: I grew up in Phoenix and when I left in 1980 the Black Widow was the most common spider around where I lived! Once one has felt their web (apparently the worlds strongest) just reaching in somewhere and touching one will just about make you jump out of your skin. :eek: I was so happy that the little corner of the Northwest where I settled didn't have any native poisonous creatures! It was good while it lasted--now we've been invaded by those Hobo spiders.:mad: I think that I'll stick to the six legged creatures, myself.:(

J. Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

pearllover2

Welcome to the forum! Those are beautiful. But in the interests of accuracy we need to distinguish these Eyris Blue cultured mab? pieces from the natural abalone/paua pearls that are otherwise the subject of this thread…

The thread says "Abalone gone Buggy". It doesn't say cultured need not apply. :) But, those beautiful examples are not bugs, now, are they? ;)
In fact, the second one reminds me of Leslie's two pearls...

Back