A mixed bag of abalone pearls.

antz

I need advice on how to liquidate my personal collection of natural abalone pearls including 3 good horns and some large gem grade pearls. I would prefer to keep them all together but im prepared to break it up into individual pearls or assortments of pearls at whatever quantity is required, feel free to ask any questions. If anyone has any information or advise it would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 43
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Please show us more detail- close ups out of the bag, maybe.
How did you come by this collection? Where are the pearls from? This is quite a collection!

Abalone pearls

Abalone pearls

im offering my collection of natural abalone pearls including 4 good horns, if you are interested let me know. Will add more photos in afew days.

Hi,
What is your asking price? You can reply to my email DrTKStern@aol.com

Thanks,
Tom Stern

I would be particularly interested in the horns, but I understand you not wanting to break up the collection. Please PM the price for the collection. If someone else on the forum ends up buying the collection, perhaps they would be willing to sell one or two of the horns...

Sheri

the pearls are from the Chatham Islands and I have had them for many years, I would sell the horns indivually and at this point I am open to offers

You have a collection that rivals any professional's.

Please PM me with the price of the top (funny looking) horn. Or the number of grams in that one.

How many grams in this collection? Do you know what abalone pearls are going for, per gram, (or carat) at the wholesale and retail level? Hint: It's a lot.

What are those big flat looking pieces?

If you could take a close up of the contents of each bag outside the bag- It would help to document this collection and make it a resource for the pearl students on this forum.

Also separating by quality of pearl would be fantastic!

Last edited:
I will separate and take photos later today as well as getting some scales to weigh them, could you tell me what the current price per gram or carat is, thanks for your comments I would be happy to document

Besides Dr Tom, we have at least 4-5 abalone pros on this board, not counting Jeremy S. I am not sure of the carat cost range, but I choked the last time I heard it.

Maybe an expert will be willing to answer that.

There are lots of carats in a gram. You have a fortune there- I hope the prices aren't too depressed already.

Are those abalone meat trade pearls?

hopefully so, what do you mean by meat trade pearls, alot of them came from working on a blue cod fishing boat in which large amounts of abalone gut was used as bait, I found 2 of the horns in 1 day which made up for the lack of fish lol

In that case I suppose they are, it took me about 7 years to get this collection, Id hate to think about how much of these ended up back into the sea

Natural Pearl For Sale

Natural Pearl For Sale

Nice collection Antz. Met you some years back we have family
connections in Taranaki.
Gem Grade are really the only saleable Pearls.
You may, or may not have the understanding what to look
for in a Gem Pearl. The Forum will offer you that advice.
If you are going to split the bags for more photos may I
suggest to show, what you consider Gem Grade, this will
give the forum more idea what you have.
As from our experience, one Gem Grade can be found
amongst 200 pearls.
Values:
WHOLESALE depending size - $500.00US per ct.
Rare pieces - such as conicals etc can be $1000.00ct US upwards.
Remember this is Haliotis Eyris - Which is a lot differerent to
the Mexican and Californian Abalone Species. Haliotis Eyris has
superior colour and quality pearls are less common than in
the other species.

Hi Antz,
I would have to agree that sorting your pearls will be in your best interest. This will give any interested party the ability to accurately determine the parcels value.
I would have to disagree with the idea that Pearls from Haliotis iris are any more rare or valuable then pearls found from any other variety of Haliotis. The fact is that all Gem quality abalone pearls hold strong value no matter from which species they are found. A true Gem quality pearl is determined by size, shape, color and luster. In our industry an ideal abalone pearl would weigh over 10 cts, be of symmetrical shape (round, drop or oval) and have a mirror like luster. Color is subjective and the value of a color changes with each client. I have clients from Asia who are most interested in pearls that are white to pink (as found in some pearls from Haliotis corrugata) Other clients in America and abroad are attracted to strong blues and greens and are willing to pay more for pearls exhibiting these colors.
I wish you the best in the sale of your collection.

Jeremy

Hi all I still have a large amount of my collection left and will be starting a website which will also involve pieces from other abalone pearl collectors,
so watch this space

I am just wondering....... whatr happened to the abalones? Do the pearl farmers sell them off as foods? I asked because I eat abalones lol.

these are from wild abalones that where harvested for food

I would be interested in checking them out as well. Could you post some more pictures of the ones you have left?

Hi Antz,

Please do give us photos and also your website when you get it up and running. Your abalone pearls are spectacular. I would love to own a couple of them. As it is I have a couple of Abalone shells and value them but having a couple of pearls - WOW !!!

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 and natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

Unfortunantly the horn pearls were on display in Christchurch city centre and no contact has been able to be made with the jewler, Im hoping that everyone was able to make it ok:(

Back