A helping hand in the Philippines

True, it is important to know the language and know how to BARGAIN in the Philippines. I have lived there and been traveling back and forth buying and selling pearl necklaces from pearl farmers. I just got 6 loose golden south sea pearls that are PERFECT and appraised by GIA. Got them for under $25... you just have to where to get them and how to bargain.

Hi Sharon,

WHOA! What sizes are the GSSPs under $25 and perfect? I'm in Manila (and have looked in Mindanao and Palawan at that) and would like to get a hand on those :) :) :) :) :)...Given the current weak US dollar exchange rate against Philippine peso, that is really cheap.

Hi Sharon,

WHOA! What sizes are the GSSPs under $25 and perfect? I'm in Manila (and have looked in Mindanao and Palawan at that) and would like to get a hand on those :) :) :) :) :)...Given the current weak US dollar exchange rate against Philippine peso, that is really cheap.

Wow, Mindanao? that can be dangerous sometimes so be careful. Do you travel to the Philippines often?

Greenhills (again :) Can US$300 buy anything nice?

Greenhills (again :) Can US$300 buy anything nice?

Hi all,

This is my first posting on this site. I have tried to follow proper forum etiquette and research on here (and other sites) to answer what questions I can myself.

Background: My wife is in Manila/old Clark Airbase area this week for the first time for business (baring Typhoon Lupt/Ramil causing problems!). She was told by one of her staff who is traveling with her that Manila is a nice place to buy pearls, in particular at Greenhills. Her employee picked up a set of pearls for a co-worker for US$100-$200 earlier this year from a vendor at Greenhills she likes and has dealt with before. When she had the pearls appraised in the US she was told they were valued at US$1,000. So I started doing my homework and I learned a lot from this thread about Greenhills and Manila/Philippines pearls:

* The pearls for sale at Greenhill are almost all imported cultivated freshwater pearls from China.
* If a vendor says they are selling South Seas Pearls, especially golden, they are very likely died Chinese pearls.
* If a vendor says the pearls are Baby South Seas Pearls they are likely fine quality fresh water pearls.

To prepare her a bit for her first purchase I bought her the book The Pearl Book: The Definitive Buying Guide : How to Select, Buy, Care for & Enjoy Pearls, which we both read. I also sent along with her a loupe with its own light.

For right now my wife just wants to be able to buy something nice for herself that we would not have bought at it's US price stateside. Since we are (currently) not looking to make a buck off of this (but it does open up interesting thoughts for the future :) she has a budget of $300 US.

So my questions are:

* Should she just avoid Greenhills and go to a Jewelmer?
* If she does buy from Greenhills, are all of the pearls "rejects" from China, or are there actually some nice ones.
* Can anything nice be purchased for $300? (And does anyone have a reference price from their experiences there that might help us know if she is getting a decent deal).

Thanks in advance!

Joe

I forgot to ask. Does anyone have a suggestion for a target % of price to shoot for when negotiating. I believe I read on another thread that in China offer 10% of the asking price and shoot to get it for 30%. I wasn't sure if there was general rule people worked by for bartering in the Philippines.

Again, i apologize for the confusion. I meant to say it was appraised by i GIA certified appraiser. :)

Hi Sharon,
Sorry to be so picky, but this is for others who read after you.
There aren't any GIA certified appraisers either. The GIA Gemology graduates are expert at identifying most kinds of pearls. They can say if it is actually a SS and whether cultured or natural. Other organizations do certify appraisers, but not the GIA. Appraising is a completely different skill that IDing pearls and one that takes far more work than just being a GIA certificate holder.

Most appraisers hold the GIA cert, but go beyond it. Most GIA grads never go on to become certified appraisers.

I want to add that only the GIA lab can pass out certifications for type of pearl or gemstone. The many other graduates can't certify, but are trained to know what they are seeing, a good skill for a jeweler or designer to have.

Last edited:
Back