My mum's pearls

D

demonik

Hi everyone! What an excellent forum, I've learned so much!

I've developed an intense interest in pearls, and am now curious as to what my mum's pearls would be worth today.

She purchased them in the mid-1980s, in a retail shop in Melbourne Australia. Each pearl is between 4.8 and 5 mm, not all are perfectly round (some have tails). A number of pearls also have surface blemishes. The strand is 16 inches, with a gold plated sterling silver clasp. The lustre is good, and they have been rarely worn. She claims that they are saltwater cultured pearls, and paid $500 for them at the time.

Can anyone tell me the value of these pearls today based on this information? I cannot include a picture, as I have no digital camera.... I'm also seriously wondering if they are really saltwater pearls at all. Can anyone also point me to a good pearl valuer in Sydney Australia?

The pearls you have do sound like cultured Akoya pearls – small, semi baroque Akoya pearls. The “tail” is notable and common.
Unfortunately the pearls (as described) would not value high in the current market. Their intrinsic value would likely be much greater. This is not meant to intimate that your mum overpaid at the time, especially if she made the purchase in AUD instead of USD. In the mid 80's rates were consistently between 1.25 and 1.3. So an approximate price of $400 for the strand does seem fair to me.
Also, in the mid 80’s, the Japanese held a market share of nearly 100%, and unilaterally determined prices for the rest of the world. Today, however, a small semi baroque strand can be purchased for just a few dollars in both Japan and China.
Personally I do not know of a jeweler in Australia that would be able to give you an honest evaluation. If any other members know of one please chime in.
If you do find a suitable jeweler, have more information for him, such as the designer of the piece and store from which it were purchased. There may be a pleasant surprise out there.
I am sorry I cannot be of more help.

Thank you very much Jeremy, I appreciate your input greatly :)

Regardless of the monetary value of your mum's pearls, the important thing is that you value them with your heart. They may not be valued very high by your jewelry appraiser but then again, think about jewelry auctions. The pieces that bring the most are typically not just because they are worth that much objectively but they strike a chord with the buyers emotions so they bring much more. Therefore, the jewelry has a subjective price that is much higher. Those pieces that bring $500,000 wouldn't necessarily be appraised at that price.

Last edited:
Back