Inherited Mikimoto Pearls

M.Hoze

Hi everyone! I'm new here :) I stumbled upon this website as I searched for a local person to inspect and appraise my newly acquired strand of pearls, and I thought this would be a great place to start while I continue my search for the right appraiser/inspector.

My great aunt passed along a strand of pearls to me. She bought them from Mikimoto while living in Japan. I believe it was in 1972, as the catalog included in the box is stamped with that date, and a Japanese vase that she handed down to me had a receipt inside of it that was dated 1972 (the receipt was for the vase - not the pearls. But they were purchased around the same time).

I am attaching photos here. Forgive me, as they are not great - I was struggling with shadows. You can't see it in the photos, but the back of the clasp says K14. The strand of pearls is 16.5" long (excluding the clasp), and the pearls measure approximately 0.25" (6.35mm) wide. I've included photos of everything that was with the pearls in case that helps, too - the jewelry box, plus the actual box that it came in, the cleaning cloth, cloth pouch, and catalog.

Any insight anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated! I'm working on finding a reputable, trustworthy jeweler - but either way, I'd like to go into a jeweler having *some* kind of an idea of what I have!

Thank you!! <3 IMG_1179.jpg IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1183.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1184.jpgIMG_1180.jpgIMG_1182.jpg

Hello M.Hoze and let me welcome you to our Pearl Loving forum :)

Looks like a beautiful Akoya strand...and you want it appraised. Ok. Some of our dear forum members might be able to suggest or guide you in the right direction. If you were in Mexico I know exactly to whom I would be sending you. Would you tell us your location? Would you be willing to ship your necklace? I believe these are things to consider...

Again, welcome!

Hello M.Hoze and let me welcome you to our Pearl Loving forum :)

Looks like a beautiful Akoya strand...and you want it appraised. Ok. Some of our dear forum members might be able to suggest or guide you in the right direction. If you were in Mexico I know exactly to whom I would be sending you. Would you tell us your location? Would you be willing to ship your necklace? I believe these are things to consider...

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I don't think I'd be willing to ship these. They mean a lot to me, having come from my beloved aunt. I would be devastated if they got lost!

M.Hoze,

A lovely inheritance to treasure! Having the documentation as you do is very helpful. Are you wanting the appraisal for insurance purposes?
The necklace appears well kept and the thread does show normal stretching from age; I recommend restringing before you wear it unless it has been done fairly recently.

You can find some similar size strands on sites like Ruby Lane, where they sell for around $1000.

What a lovely piece to inherit, hope you get many years of happiness wearing them.

Hi M.Hoze, I’m in Pittsburgh. I PM’d you the name of a local jeweler who loves pearls, and knows knotters, if that’s what you’re looking for. He just closed his bricks and mortar store after a lifetime in the business, but still has a Facebook page.

please keep us posted, if you feel like it:D

Back