Please Help - What kind of pearls do I have?

Miguelle

Community member
Dear Experts,

I bought this tiny pearls set 15 years ago and I just used it for a few times because one of the earrings is a bit loose so I just kept it. Are these fwp or akoya? Thanks! 468C8C60-5AB8-4EDA-9F77-8328AACFFEFD.jpg
00EDEA86-30CC-4BE7-BB68-39A1093A7448.jpg

The size of the pearls in comparison with a 15mm SSP:
5AC46101-5F63-4108-B4C5-EF0E0E6C80C3.jpg

Fifteen years ago-- I'd say they are either akoyas or else fake.

What is the metal stamped? Fake pearls are not usually set in carat gold settings.

Did you ever do the "tooth test"? Either rub the pearls gently (to avoid scratching them)against the edge of your front tooth or against each other. Real nacre is a bit gritty or resistant, fake pearls aren't.

Or if you have a loupe (10x magnifier used by jewelers) look at the surface of the pearls. Real nacre is very smooth looking at that magnification, while fake pearls are coarser looking. You can compare with known-real or known-fake pearls if you aren't sure.

Thank you, Pearl Dreams!

I’ve checked the metal and it is stamped - 585 14K. The pearls feel gritty as well.

Miguelle,

Yes, I agree with Pearl Dreams, most likely Akoya, as they seem very round. I estimate them to be approx 7 - 7.5 mm, a common size for Akoya and about half the size of that whopper SSP. Are the gemstones diamonds?

Hi Pattye,

Yes, there are diamonds on the ring and on the earrings.

Back