Unusual Pearl - Mabe or Natural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Pearl - Mabe or Natural?

Please help me with trying to identify what type of pearl this is. It has a beautiful blueish color, but, you can also see a dark area in the center. I think it resembles a Mabe pearl, but, because I can see the nucleus??? - possibly a natural pearl. I bought it at an estate sale and love the colors. It is set in 925 sterling with a red garnet. Many thanks!
    Attached Files

Hi Momsjewel,

Thanks for sharing your pretty pendant. It looks to me like a "nautilus pearl," not an actual pearl, which is cut from the inner ribs of the nautilus shell. It is backed with resin or some type of filler and set like a mabe. Other clues to help identify this are the oval shape, light rib pattern and blue silver color. Blue silver and white are natural colors, but I've seen some for sale in pink and yellow and darker blue.

What size is yours? I LOVE them, here is a photo of some of my "osmena pearl" jewelry. Let us know if yours looks like these.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010221.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	365704
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

I've also heard them called "osmena" pearls (except that they're not really pearls). So pretty though! Wish I had one.

Comment

That's very pretty Momsjewels Pattye, lovely examples, especially that necklace with the blue gemstones, sigh!!!
        Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

Thank you, Cathy. Those are aquamarine nuggets added to osmena stations from an older necklace I took apart. The color is similar to the blue silver akoya pearls. Usually osmenas aren't very expensive, but a big, beautiful pearly look!
          Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

These "pearls" or osmena are just lovely! Pattye, you really did a great job with those aqua nuggets! I have an old wire wrapped (not made by me) milky aqua necklace that is just begging for a re-do/repurpose...but I digress....momsjewel your treasure is really pretty!
            http://www.oceanscovejewelry.com
            Instagram: Ocean's Cove

Comment

This site is just wonderful - thanks for all of the replies. Always a learning lesson. I like the shine and colors, and, Pattye, your collection is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
              X