Mixing Pearls With Other Stones

I have an emerald and pearl necklace and pendant from littleh that is drop dead gorgeous.

I have a 54" rope from Kojima with the little rubber stoppers between the pearls instead of knots, and to be honest, the rubber stopper just look like knots. I cannot tell unless I get a magnifying glass out. Now the necklace does hang different. It has a nice curve to the bottom, where as if it was knotted, it would collapse, if that makes sense. I like the way it hangs with the stoppers.

Is this thread still active? What do everybody thinks about ruby and pearls? I saw littleh pearl design and have to say ruby and tahitian pearl blew me away! Maybe not on necklace but how about pendant, tin cup or earrings?

I think rubies and Tahitians are fantastic together. I made a ruby beads necklace with a Tahitian as the focal bead. :)

I agree, rubies with Tahitians are fabulous, every gemstone has its mate in pearls!

Nnguye20, threads on this forum can be posted on and reread indefinitely. It's fun to revisit when someone posts on an older thread. So much great information here; I've been reading since 2004, though I didn't join until 2005.

I think rubies and Tahitians are fantastic together. I made a ruby beads necklace with a Tahitian as the focal bead. :)
If it's fine for you, can you share some photos of your design? I'm having a bunch of loose Tahitian pearls and still wondering what I can do with them. I've been collecting designs from pinterest and mall's jewelries as inspiration

Sure, tomorrow when it's light out I'll take a photo. I thought I had taken a photo already but I don't seem to see it in my album.

It's really very simple-- ruby beads, a silver rondelle shaped spacer, the Tahitian pearl, another spacer, more ruby beads, clasp.

Last edited:
Pearl Dreams, I would love to see it too. I’m a little bored with making just pearl necklaces with loose pearls.

I got these ruby beads back in 2008 at the East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil show. (Note: This is not a good show if you want to buy pearls.)

Here I'm standing outside my back door. It's cloudy today so they aren't fluorescing.
Ruby and Tahitian necklace outdoors cloudy day.jpg

Under the tungsten ceiling fan lights, which somewhat replicates how they look outside on a sunny day.
Ruby beads Tahitian necklace under tungsten lights.jpg

This is the magnetic clasp I used. It's strong, but easy to open by "folding" the flower. Rio Grande sells it.
https://www.riogrande.com/product/sterling-silver-round-flower-magnetic-clasp/693627

Sterling silver Daisy clasp from Rio.jpg
Daisy clasp opened.jpg

It is strung on beading wire with sterling silver Twisted Tornado crimps. I used a 3mm silver ball bead to hide the tail of the beading wire as the drill hole is too small to go back through. The pearl itself is flanked with silver rondelles.

This is one of my most comfortable necklaces, and really easy to make.

If you've never used Twisted Tornado crimps, be aware that you just flatten them with pliers-- don't use a crimping tool.

Ooh, how pretty. Gives me lots of ideas. Thank you Pearl Dreams. Also, I love magnetic clasps. I have such trouble closing ball clasps when DH isn’t around. However, some magnetic clasps are stronger then others.

I tend to be leery of magnetic clasps for that very reason, but this one is really strong. I have no fear of its opening on its own.
(Of course one could use any clasp.)

Thank you for sharing! That necklace looks stunning! Also thank you so much for mentioning the sources where you get these gems!

I bought Perl’s on a wire back in 1999. It was an illusion necklace. When I tried to remove the pearls and use them for another necklace I found I could not get them off. Were they glued? How did the person do that.? The wire was .018. ,

First, you need wire that is as close as possible to the diameter of the hole, so the glue isn't filling gaps. Then, put the tiniest dab of glue on the wire where pearl will be and slide the pearl over it. The glue should be placed at the furthest end, so the entire pearl slides over it. This spreads the glue all over the inside of the pearl and the wire, holding it. Someone once told me to use a tiny dab of epoxy and a tiny dab of super glue - the super glue dries straight away and holds the pearl in place while the stronger epoxy cures. I haven't done this but I am very careful to work on a beading board and have the pearl supported as soon as it is slid over the glue, so it won't move.

First, you need wire that is as close as possible to the diameter of the hole, so the glue isn't filling gaps. Then, put the tiniest dab of glue on the wire where pearl will be and slide the pearl over it. The glue should be placed at the furthest end, so the entire pearl slides over it. This spreads the glue all over the inside of the pearl and the wire, holding it. Someone once told me to use a tiny dab of epoxy and a tiny dab of super glue - the super glue dries straight away and holds the pearl in place while the stronger epoxy cures. I haven't done this but I am very careful to work on a beading board and have the pearl supported as soon as it is slid over the glue, so it won't move.
Fantastic tip LadyD!

Back