Mixing Pearls With Other Stones

Dianamoon

I adore pearls but I'm getting bored of just knotting them on their own.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which stones go well with pearls?

Also, how do you deal with the hole size discrepancy? Almost all pearls have small holes, most stones do not.

And, do you put them on silk/nylon? Won't heavy beads weigh down pearl knotting silk?

Thanks! I am new to this.

I don't make necklaces or straps myself, but I think the first you must consider is that many stones are harder than pearls, so, rub between them can damage pearls if you don't put any spacers, even small. That particularly if the hole of stones is larger than the one of pearls, then, rub is important. That's a technical note, for the rest, there is a team of experts, here:)

Check out Beadalon products for coated beading wire and silicone bumpers.

Silicone bumpers come in different colors and sizes and protect the pearls from rubbing against each other or against stones.
Some people use metal beads as spacers, but they can leave tarnish on the pearls.
https://www.beadalon.com/products/beadbumper.asp

Beading wire is good for use with stones. The rough edges of the stones at the drill holes can cut right through thread.
It comes in different gauges/thicknesses. You may need very fine wire for your beads.

Buy the highest-ply wire you can in the size you need-- the higher the ply, the more flexible. Beadalon wire 49 ply is very flexible but may be too thick for the drill holes in your beads. I have used Soft Touch (by Soft Flex) for very small holes-- fine gauge and very flexible.

You will need crimps to attach the wire to the clasp. I like using Twisted Tornado crimps-- use regular pliers to flatten them, not a crimping tool. They are attractive and very secure and come in various metals. If using fine wire be sure to use the smaller size crimps.

Fire Mountain Gems carries many of these products. Also Amazon, Beadalon, Rio Grande, Artbeads.com, etc.

As to stones-- the sky is the limit. Use whatever gemstones you like!

"Beading wire is good for use with stones. The rough edges of the stones at the drill holes can cut right through thread. "

I thought that the Pearl Police ;) said that we shouldn't use beading wire with pearls. Tell me it's not so, I feel so liberated!

"Beading wire is good for use with stones. The rough edges of the stones at the drill holes can cut right through thread. "

I thought that the Pearl Police ;) said that we shouldn't use beading wire with pearls. Tell me it's not so, I feel so liberated!

My GSS are strung on wire with silicone bumpers in between. The bumpers keep the wire centered so it's not rubbing against the edge of the pearls' drill hole.

Well, there are many of us who mix gemstones and pearls together, knotted on thread. Here are beautiful combos from Jersey Pearl, for example. Of course, one has to evaluate the beads to see if the drill holes are sharp or snaggy. Many of the smaller roundel gemstone beads have drill holes that aren't too different from the size of the pearl hole. The 2 mm black spinel I've been working with have approx .50 mm holes and Beader's Secret works well with that size.

Other designers, Margo Morrison, put gemstones and pearls on nylon thread. And on silk.

It's good to experiment. Then there are times when wire is the safest.

Which are the best vendors for small hole gem stones, or is this not allowed on Pearl Guide? (ads, etc.)

What about putting metal beads in between? Not allowed because of the abrasion factor? I've seen pics on Pearl Guide of this but the posts are years old and the participants have dropped out otherwise I'd ask them.

You can use metal beads but you may get tarnish on your pearls.
People are free to recommend the vendors they buy their gemstones from. :)

I was warned years ago not to put gold beads next to pearls because they would blacken the pearls. I think it was in one of Rene Newman's pearl books. Real high karat gold is different. Real gold will not tarnish, and my pearls with real gold beads are just fine. However, gold colored beads will tarnish and blacken pearls. Silver also may tarnish unless it is argentium silver and plated with rhodium, and then it should not tarnish.

Last edited:
Dianamoon,

Many vendors carry gemstone beads that can be mixed with pearls. If you have a bead store in your town perhaps that would be a good place to start. Shopping in person with the pearls you want to use in hand allows you to compare sizes and "looks" to see what pleases your eye. Some cities host Gem Faires, Bead Faires or Intergem, where vendors come several times a year to show their wares. Always a good place to shop and learn.

Karat gold beads do work between pearls, imo. Also gold fill is a process where a specific percentage weight of gold is fused to the base metal, so only gold touches any other material. Findings, clasps and chains which are gold filled are considered to be long lasting products.

Gold plated items are ones to avoid, as it is difficult to know how thick the plating is. These can tarnish and wear quickly.

Sometimes the hole in the spacer is large enough slip the knot inside, giving you security. (See Catherine Cardellini's necklaces as modeled by Baby Nurse on the 365 days of pearls thread.)

I've taken apart my pearl necklaces strung on waxed linen, to find black marks on the pearl and 22k solid gold beads. the problem seemed to be the wax itself, which wiped off the pearls, but the gold beads need a bath and gentle scrubbing before they were as good as new.

Also one thing to consider, many places that sell Kt gold beads will offer two types...one is cheaper . You probably want the Heavy wall beads ( more expensive ) in a necklace as the pressure can dent them or squash them. They can be ok in earrings if just a bit of gold is needed and there isn't any pressure on them. ( be careful in wire wrapping them..doesn't take much to dent the top)

That sounds bad - but not as bad as actual damage.

I think that putting the tiny rubber/silicon (whatever) stopper between the gold beads and the pearl would be a good idea, but I'm not crazy about how it will look. You can still see the stopper.

Is this thread still active? What do everybody thinks about ruby and pearls? I saw littleh pearl design and have to say ruby and tahitian pearl blew me away! Maybe not on necklace but how about pendant, tin cup or earrings?

Back