Average size of South Sea pearl nuclei?

Rusty, thanks so very much for all the great information and advice. I never thought about the various steps leading from the farm...but I can see where there could be a few between the guy I'm buying from the the guy who's prying out the pearls. If you ever come down to Adelaide I owe you a beer or two :) (be sure to stick some pearls in you pockets before you come) thanks again :D

Really, I agree that you all have shared great descriptions and analogies. Too fun!

Thanks R&B for the tips. I believe my SS pearls have a good lustre and are evenly coloured. All of mine were already set in pendants, but have small caps apart from one.

My round (as far as I can see) pearl has a large domed cap (acorn-like) covering part of the top of the pearl, but the pearl looks fine otherwise. I suspect the pearl might have had a circle around the top or been a bit pointy, I will never know. But it seems too extreme to get all my pearls valued/x-rayed before buying them, it would really add to the cost!

Once however, while out pearl-hunting I saw a two-tone SSP in a pearl jewellery shop. What could this mean? I think it was a drop shape, and the top was cream and the bottom was light gold, or vice-versa. Is that bad? I didn't go for it. Sales staff were very pushy.

Also, have been researching x-ray pics and found this very helpful photo and description from this website: http://www.michaelfreemanphoto.com/media/429853c2-272d-11e1-be7f-0d815625950d-pearls

7407_01_%20Pearl_imaged_6ways_large.jpg

Gidday Adeline

The nuclei sitting in the boulbus secton of a tear drop pearl is simply the way they are created. In South Sea Pearl growing quite a few are seeded to get a beautiful gem grade.

The better your practices and the right environmental seasons will see and increase of the ratio.

The thing is quite a few don't make the grade, be very careful buying over the internet with what appear to be cheap South Sea Pearls.

The yarn about visual nacre inpection of pearls I put up top pretty much goes with any shape. Just remember when looking at a South Sea wether Baroque or round there is a round nuclei in there somewhere.

Try and visualise the round nuclei that you know is inside. then roll it around trying to see variation. I envissaged some of you going over your pearls with this new knowledge desperate to know your pearls are OK. When you've have untold pearls go through your fingers the process takes less than a second.

Sorry folks I know you have asked more questions but my beautiful wife has called me for dinner. Nothing can keep me at this computer now. I'll be busy tomorrow but I'll answer you then.

Enjoy the waite, I have a lovely meal to enjoy with beautiful company, Cheers, Rusty.

Thanks R&B for the tips. I believe my SS pearls have a good lustre and are evenly coloured. All of mine were already set in pendants, but have small caps apart from one.

My round (as far as I can see) pearl has a large domed cap (acorn-like) covering part of the top of the pearl, but the pearl looks fine otherwise. I suspect the pearl might have had a circle around the top or been a bit pointy, I will never know. But it seems too extreme to get all my pearls valued/x-rayed before buying them, it would really add to the cost!

Once however, while out pearl-hunting I saw a two-tone SSP in a pearl jewellery shop. What could this mean? I think it was a drop shape, and the top was cream and the bottom was light gold, or vice-versa. Is that bad? I didn't go for it. Sales staff were very pushy.

Also, have been researching x-ray pics and found this very helpful photo and description from this website: http://www.michaelfreemanphoto.com/media/429853c2-272d-11e1-be7f-0d815625950d-pearls

7407_01_%20Pearl_imaged_6ways_large.jpg

how great - this image reminded me of the planets

nature is a wonderful thing

Gidday again

Adeline, with regular wearing the thin area will simply wear off to expose the nuclei.

You can hide that section within a mount. For example, in my travels I have pretended interest in pearl jewellery to suss out the vendor and found brooches to be beautiful upon first glance but when rotated and viewed closer to be a seriously flawed pearl. I beleive there's nothing wrong with doing that, provided they are not charging you for a "good" pearl.

If you have pearls like that, mount them as best you can as a piece of jewellery and enjoy wearing them, no one will know they are low grade, unless you tell them.

Further to your question and probably good for all to understand, with regular wear, pearls wear out.

Don't freak out about that statement, wash your pearls when you take them off and prolong their lives.

Friends and I have worn big pearls constantly. As in they have a big fave on a choker on rubber bracelet and they pretty well never take it off. The constant body acids and in some cases perfumes take their toll and the pearl progressively deteriorates. You won't see it happen in a day or a week, more-so over time.

You as a human progressively shed skin, a pearl progressively shed's it's ultra thin tiles, platelets or whichever you callthem.

Now Pearlharbourer, the yarn about visual nacre inspection is a basic yarn for beginners with a silver South Sea Pearl.
The two tone pearl you describe can be quite a unique beauty, I see a few that are silver into yellow and some silver into pink.

I have no trouble selling them when they come along with a good clean coating of nacre.

The colour comes from the Glue/ Compound that holds the plateletes / tiles together.

I am unable to explain the actual variation at this point and can only advise we are studying this process.

Get yourself a hold of a South Sea Pearl Shell, Quite often in the nacre on the outer edge you will have a strip of either greyer or yellower nacre as opposed to the silver middle.

That is the same as the pearl you mention, we are looking for the reason. Could be genetic, could be immediate environment, could be anything.

It's quite probable that many in this industry have already spent fortunes trying to work it out, they are not talking about it to my knowledge.

We'll just keep plodding along with our efforts. Maybe you'll read about it one day, or maybe Bron and I will simply continue to marvel at how our pearls come out without ever finding out why each come out so different.

It's a great life watching South Sea Pearls come into the world. Good night.

Back