My pearls

Thank you Pattye and 2thdktr, I like when I can make something that works in different ways. Like Purranhas transformers, I love those. Hard to find cool jewelry like that in europe.

New attempt to make the ripples mine, I put tiny 3-4mm lavender rose freshwaters between each ripple. It made the necklace slightly longer, about 20inch. If I removed 2 pearls it was too short and if I added 2 pearls too long. The 2 leftover pearls I wirewrapped with 2 of the tiny pearls to make earrings. I had to use soft flex beading wire on this one since the smaller pearls have to small drillholes to knot. I have ordered Beaders secret in rose, but it is still in the care of the swedish postal system...
_20190105_133123.jpg

That turned out nice! Very Coco Chanel with the large and small pearls.

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 7.47.52 AM.jpg

I had some lavender rose freshwater pearls left today so I made another tassel. I love pearl tassels. I made this one differently, the tasselhead was different, nothing to attach it to inside. I wirewrapped it to the loops with hatpins.
_20190105_175031.jpg
It is less stiff than one could think.
_20190105_174933.jpg

Love your new look lavender rose ripples!
And the tassels...

Thank you AndrewM, Marianne and Happy Huka. I especially like pearl tassels, but it is difficult to find the right components for making them. Most smaller pearls/smaller gemstones have to small drillholes to let a tread/wire pass through twice and the findings are all different as well. This one didn't have a loop inside or bars to attach the pearls to. But I find it rather relaxing after a busy workweek to make somethings with my hands anyway.

You are very talented. Love the small and large pearls together.

Thank you BWeaves and 2thdktr, you are too kind. Today I restrung my triple vintage akoya necklace. The one with the citrine clasp. It took several hours, rather sore now after 275 mostly small pearls. I restrung it with Beaders secret in ivory. The pearls are yellowish, either by itself or because of age. The clasp is hallmarked Birmingham 1963. Most of the pearls are in great condition, a few are a bit dull. This is the necklace that I learnt how to restring for. When I bought it I noticed that someone had mended one of the strands, badly, and put a plastic pearl near the clasp. I had to fix it, and I did. But it took several tries to get it to nest right.
_20190106_201145.jpg
I love that clasp, it's like good marmalade.
_20190106_201212.jpg
It is also the strand that made me search for earrings that matched the clasps on my strands. This is the closest I ever found. It's not exactly right, also the citrines in the earrings are lighter and the gold more bright. I have since given up on the earring quest.
_20190106_201605.jpg
_20190106_201447.jpg
I threw the plastic pearl in the garbage...

Wow, I think you got a good match with the earrings. Now we need ear and neck shots of the complete parure.

Stunning citrines, they are so complimentary and such a warm color! The triple is a treasure; so glad you threw away the fake pearl! That is a whole lot of pearls to restring, and you did an excellent job of it, your persistence paid off! Congratulations!

p.s. The strand of ripples turned out beautifully! Using small pearls as spacers shows off the individual pearls, keeps the weight down, gives a bit more length and allows a couple of pearls for earrings, too.

Last edited:
All your re-dos are wonderful! Adding the small pearls to the ripples gave it a completely new and lovely look! I also like the tassel. Your earrings look to be a very close match! I'd say they could easily pass as a set!

Back