How to Make an Antique Pearl Kitsch

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi All,

Came across this on eBay. Was intrigued and revolted at the same time. Pearl must have been lovely before it was given the treatment. Poor pearl almost felt like rescueing it but I think it is way too late for that. :eek:

How to do - To one lovely old pearl throw in some diamonds, gold, silver and various coloured enamel, mix together - hey presto, kitsch.

Maybe they owned a Chook Farm.

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

Attachments

• Kitsch.jpg
    Kitsch.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 31
Can you provide the link to that item?

Thanks!

Clearly one of those very baroques that you keep on your workstation for years until the inspiration hits..pity it hit this idea!
Mind you, if it is hallmarked ..I can't see a mark in any of the pictures so I have asked the seller.

Last edited:
I just realised that I should not go online when I am dead tired. The pearl is not all that big. The 1.3/4" would be the length of the bar at the back. Duhh. :eek: Talk about being dumb.

Just didn't get much sleep, came back on line and saw the question. Should have finished my cuppa before answering it.

It is a pity about the poor pearl though. It must be a nice pearl with numerous hold in it. Doubt if the bits and pieces are held on by just glue.

Caitlin - would you wear it :eek:

pearlescence - also not my idea of inspiration. Be okay if it was a FW klonk but not an antique pearl. Even a hallmark won't make the brooch anymore beautiful.

Dawn
Seller ID dawncee333

I think we could call it ingenious!
and if the date is confirmed by hall mark then it is a natural...maybe even a uk/scottish natural

Hi Wendy,

Does it look like it could be a UK/Scottish natural to you? It must be a natural but have you seen any that looked like this from the UK. I have read that Britain was invaded because of its natural pearls so who knows.

Who is the ones bidding on it now. I wondered if someone from the Pearl Guide would bid on it. It is a beautiful pearl from the looks of it. If I had been going to bid on it I would not have uploaded the photo :) But due to spending too much lately I am not.

If someone from here does win it we will need to know details, lots of them and more photos. Please!!

Dawn
eBay Seller ID dawncee333

It could be a unio, I have some which look like this sort of accretion though mine never get beyond three blobs. the slightly satiny lustre looks about right too. Freshwater mussels were much more widespread 150 years ago so it could come from anywhere in Europe

It's up to 75 pounds with 1/2 hour left.

Bo
It is just kitschy enough that I would wear it- Especially on a purse or a jacket. I really just love it. I love the feet, the pearl, the comb. I am not bidding on it though.

I vote YES on the feet and tail ....... here we all are watching it count down.
I would happily accept it as a gift, btw.

Cheers,
Narcissa

It's interesting and it must have been quite the fancy pin in its day. ;)

That is just so adorable! While not a huge fan of kitsch, that little guy touches my heart.:)

barbie

I have been meaning to add to this post for some time! Here is a photo of my favorite "pearl kitsch".
This was a gift from some Italian jeweler friends of mine, and was given to me in Basel some years ago. It is made from a South Sea keshi pearl, white gold and sapphires for the eyes. (it is not antique.. but has a similar whimsical feel)
Together we named it "malu" which means "shy" in Indonesian.. because of it's little wobbly knees and its cute awkward posture.
I love this little pendant and wear it only with delight!

Attachments

• malu1.jpg
    malu1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 36
  • malu2.jpg
    malu2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 37
Back