Opinions on these Pearls please

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi All,

This is a pearl ring I have not yet added to my thread "Dawn's Pearls" - under "Show Us Your Pearls" - I will do so a little later if time allows.

I am wondering what our experts think of it. Could it be a natural pearl. If there is a reasonable possibility I will list it to send for X-rays. When I bought it from the Eastern States of Australia I thought I would be buying for the setting and add a natural pearl but then started to think it was too beautiful to take out and there was a chance it was natural.

Set in 22 kt Gold it is very beautiful but to me has some of the things we look for in naturals but then it could be cultured. Being set in 22kt gold I think it is worth checking out and getting your opinions. It doesn't look like a modern setting to me although I cannot age it. Paul you might have an idea.

The pearl is gritty. It measures 8.51mm across but it is hard to gauge the depth but must be around that and possibly a little more. If you look at the photos carefully one shows a slight egg shape at the top. I can just see the bottom which looks irregular although once more I noticed that the setting and underneath are dirty so if I washed it I did not do a very good job.

I can take more photos if required but not until the weekend.

When I set up for candling and photos this weekend I will do my best to take photos of this one too.

The last photo is of very large (I forget just how large) pearls in earrings (not cuff links) which I helped a customer with. I do not know exactly what type of naturals they are. I do think freshwater but could one or more of the experts give their opinions on these pearls. I would like to let the lady know what they are if possible. As I said I did not buy or handle them and only found them but find them very beautiful and know they will be set into brooches. I will ask her if she would consider posting photos of them for us when finished. I think they will both be spiders but at least one will and I am sure they will be stunners. I believe one is nearly finished.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• Freshwater naturals.JPG
    Freshwater naturals.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 41
I had a pair of earrings very much like these that I purchased in the 80s with the same kind of pattern in the surface. Unfortunately, one came off the post and was lost. Mine were cultured freshwaters, but you never know. The ring pearl looks cultured. It's so hard to know whether it would be worth it to spend the money on testing. Good luck. :)

Hi GemGeek, I agree about the ring. Just me being hopeful. But I will candle it.

But -

I found another photo of this pair of earrings. It shows the back which is kind of grundgie but I think this is protein on over mature pearls. I think they are natural river pearls of some kind. This is for a customer not me and I would appreciate opinions!! I cannot add sizes except to say they are quite large in the vicinity of 18 to 22 mm. Just can't remember. Hopefully I will have some photos to upload once the lady has them set into their brooches. Maybe! One for her sister and one for her. Spiders I think, should be lovely with diamonds and gems, gold etc. in the style of antique pieces.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• BBB1.JPG
    BBB1.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 38
  • BBB2.JPG
    BBB2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 39
Back