Pearl necklace and gold chain - can it damage the pearls ?

Bunny

Hello !

I am new here. I would like to know if wearing a pearl necklace at the same time as a gold chain can damage the pearls. I was told not to store the pearls with any other jewelry. I am asking the question because I always wear a short gold chain with a medal that I prefer not to take off but I also love pearls and would like to wear them more often.

Thank you,
Pearl Bunny

Hi Bunny,

Gold is harder than nacre (although 18K gold is a bit softer than 14K gold). Over time, wearing a chain and pearls together could result in some scratches on the pearls. Some kinds of chains are rougher than others.

There will be less contact between the chain and the pearls if they are not the same length.

You know, nothing lasts forever-- wear what you like and enjoy it!

Some types or styles of chains are "scratchier" than others. Also, you could wear the chain around your neck and the pearls on the outside of a collar.

Bunny,
As JP mentioned, I'd just wear the pieces together; they aren't being rubbed against each other with lots of pressure. Yes, check to make sure the chain doesn't feel rough when you run your fingers over it. Diamonds are so hard they could likely scratch pearls if they were mixed/jumbled in a jewelry box. I feel a little medal or cross is a fun personal touch under a pearl strand.

Back