Engagement Ring Help

kandysan

Hey all,

I'm a late 20 something Montrealer looking to propose to my girlfriend of 5 years. I have a bit of an idea of what she wants - a white pearl ring with diamonds around it. Nothing too over the top, but of course, I want it to be nice.

I've gone to a few high end stores around Montreal and surfed the internet for ring designs that might work. I'm reluctant to buy direct from any of the websites I've found, but I would love it if somebody here could give me some advice or help me make/find a ring?

Here are photos of some of the ring styles that could work (but all the negative chatter about thepearlsource.com website has definitely led me to this forum to get some advice):

http://www.thepearlsource.com/_33_collection_446.htm

http://www.thepearlsource.com/_33_collection_1547.htm

http://www.thepearlsource.com/_33_collection_537.htm

I imagine I would want the pearl to be somewhere around 10mm, with about .3-.7 carats of diamonds around. The band should be very simple and not too too thick. I am also definitely open to any suggestions (maybe darker pearls are better than white ones?)

My budget is between $1,000 and $1,750 USD, and I'm looking to buy ASAP.

Help!

Thanks everyone!

David

I've dealt with the Pearl Source in that company and another one by the same owner. One time was fine, there were no problems. The other time there was a problem. They sent me a ring worth about 25$, for $250. It looked nothing like the photo, the proportions were way off, everything was way off. It was a freshwater pearl and only sterling silver but I bought it for that anyway originally because it was just so drop dead gorgeous in the (misrepresented) photo.

They dodged me on the phone, then (with an attitude) said they'd call back the next day and didn't. Then, only after I reported them to Paypal, kept insisting to Paypal that they'd take it back for a refund, all I had to do was get a return code number. But they would not give me the required return code number!

I had to go through PayPal to get a refund, and also reported them to the BBB. Only after that did he become interested in calling. He left messages that had an attitude, like he had done nothing wrong and what in the world was the matter with me, after all, wasn't he calling me personally? (conveniently omitting that it was only after I'd had to go through all these outside complaints first). PayPal said since I had already filed a complaint and he ignored it until I upgraded it to where PayPal decides, don't even bother talking to him. So, I didn't. I can't work anything out with someone who lies.

Then he accused me of starting a "smear campaign" against him after I truthfully reported my experience on a couple of consumer rating sites. He claimed that his own testimonials he put on his own site, (completely under his control only) however, were "proof" of his integrity, lol, and other things that were just too stupid for anyone to take seriously. Of course, I directed PayPal and the BBB right to the sites where I had allegedly "started a smear campaign against him"- aka- reported the facts, which I had proof of, accurately.

PayPal refunded my money, the BBB also kept my complaint on file although he tried unsuccessfully to discredit me. He didn't honor the deal in more ways than one, then lied about what went on.

Don't let me influence you, though. :)

I can't remember now what the two other companies are that are run by the same people. I may have blocked it out due to the trauma, lol. Anybody know?

Edit: Ah, Laguna Pearl. Same owner (I still don't remember the name of the third company by that owner):

http://www.lagunapearl.com/10mm-Freshwater-Pearl-Star-Ring_85_collection_995.htm

This was the picture of the ring. In person, it was nothing like it. And as I stated above, that was only the first problem...

Last edited:
That first ring I think is the loveliest! Perhaps someone here could make you a ring to the design you describe..

Your girlfriend is a lucky lady ;)

You mentioned that she would want white pearl ring, so it's better to stick with that. And for something like engagement ring, I think white pearl is more suitable than other pearl color.

I'm sending you private message for some suggestions.

And Sea Urchin, I'm very sorry for your experience :( Is the third company pearlacce? they have similar "testimonial" as mentioned here https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5666&p=88607#post88607

Last edited:
I cannot help but to suspect the ring in Sea Urchin's post is the result of a Photoshop effort, with a pearl Photoshopped onto the ring setting.

DK :)

Are you sure that your future-wife won't want to choose her own ring?

I definitely, definitely wouldn't have wanted to have mine chosen for me.

I know I don't get a vote, but I love the Camellia ring for an engagement ring. :cool:

Yes, Perlinda, the third company is Pearlacce. I recognized it after you said it. My first purchase (from the PearlSource) was a lovely, AAA freshwater 8-9mm opera length strand and no problems. But that doesn't help, when there is a problem (their fault, too mind you, they clearly misrepresented the ring in the first place) and suddenly you're no longer a valued customer but treated like a pest, and practically need an act of Congress to get fair treatment. It was absolutely ridiculous - never again.

Also, Kandysan, for what it's worth, I agree with Amanda. Forever is a long enough time to have to live with someone, but wearing a ring you are not wild about forever, well, that is simply unthinkable, hahaha. :)

Let us know what you get!

Back