Do pearls absorb moisture?

B

bluelotus777

Hello,

I have heard that a bit of water (such as the moisture that comes from the skin) is good for pearls, does that mean that pearls absorb water from the environment?

Pearls can dry out and be damaged if kept in a too-dry environment (like a safe deposit box) for an extended time. So then logically they must be able to absorb a little bit of moisture.

Yup! Pearl can and will absorb water...its not like they can become "waterlogged" but they do absorb water from your skin or if you place them in water.
This would be the basis for the "maeshori" treatment: you soak pearls in distilled water until they absorb as much water as possible on the outer layers and then it's easier to polish them.

I'm a complete newbie here--- I just registered tonight, in fact. And my Pearl knowledge is VERY limited. I literally just stumbled across this site and I was instantly fascinated (but also more than a little overwhelmed 😵‍💫😵‍💫). I want to purchase a beautiful pearl necklace with white pearls for my girlfriend as a surprise gift. I have over 3 months to pull the trigger on the purchase, so there isn't a huge rush. And I had assumed akoya pearls were considered the best quality (and most valuable) when it comes to cultured pearls. But even after reading a few threads here now I'm worried about the durability and longevity of akoya pearl necklaces. 🥺🥺 The last thing I want is for the pearls on her necklace to start looking ratty within 10 years or less. Hell, even 20 years would be too soon for very noticeable pearl wear/deterioration in my opinion. so it sounds like the freshadama pearls at pearl Paradise might be my best option in terms of beauty AND durability. So I had a few questions I was hoping you knowledgeable Pearl folks could answer.

1) is there some sort of technique to storing pearl necklaces that help add a little moisture to the storage area? I think my girlfriend might be one of those occasional type pearl necklace wearers (if I had to guess, I'm thinking she might wear 'em twice a week). And from what I understand, wearing pearls often helps them to last longer and retain their luster. Is that correct?

2) do companies like Jewelers mutual offer insurance for freshwater pearl necklaces? Or only akoyas and tahitians?

Thanks in advance. This place sure seems like a wonderful resource!

Welcome!

As far as I know, good quality Akoya don't just wear out. Also consider that this might only be the first in a long line of pearl necklaces - if she gets bitten by the bug :) If she does, she is likely to be wearing a lot of other necklaces than just the first one and it will last even longer. Though, I am sure, it will always hold a special place in her heart.

I don't have Freshadama myself but I understand that the lusters are a little different from each other. Since you are considering Pearl Paradise, you could schedule a video appoinement and get to know the differences better. If you follow the Facebook page you will also find a lot of 'show and tell' (and buy) from Pearl Paradise every Wednesday at the moment.

Welcome!

As far as I know, good quality Akoya don't just wear out. Also consider that this might only be the first in a long line of pearl necklaces - if she gets bitten by the bug :) If she does, she is likely to be wearing a lot of other necklaces than just the first one and it will last even longer. Though, I am sure, it will always hold a special place in her heart.

I don't have Freshadama myself but I understand that the lusters are a little different from each other. Since you are considering Pearl Paradise, you could schedule a video appoinement and get to know the differences better. If you follow the Facebook page you will also find a lot of 'show and tell' (and buy) from Pearl Paradise every Wednesday at the moment.
Thanks so much for your response. When you talk about the Lusters being different, did you mean that the luster of akoya pearls is different than even a very high quality freshwater Pearl such as a freshadama? Or did you mean that freshwater pearl necklaces don't match each other well as far as the Luster goes?

Thanks so much for your response. When you talk about the Lusters being different, did you mean that the luster of akoya pearls is different than even a very high quality freshwater Pearl such as a freshadama? Or did you mean that freshwater pearl necklaces don't match each other well as far as the Luster goes?
And could others pipe in on the overall durability of freshwater pearls versus akoya? From what I've been reading it sounds like freshwater pearls retain their color and shape significantly longer than akoyas due to being essentially all nacre? Is this true? Will a nice freshwater pearl necklace look significantly more like it originally did 20 years down the road versus an akoya necklace?

Akoya pearl luster is typically sharper and more metallic. Freshwater pearls tend to have a softer luster more like South Sea. But this is a general rule. You can have a medium to low-luster akoya strand and you can find metallic-white freshwater pearls. The metallic will have much higher luster. There is no one size fits all when it comes to pearls.

And could others pipe in on the overall durability of freshwater pearls versus akoya? From what I've been reading it sounds like freshwater pearls retain their color and shape significantly longer than akoyas due to being essentially all nacre? Is this true? Will a nice freshwater pearl necklace look significantly more like it originally did 20 years down the road versus an akoya necklace?
Akoya pearls tend to patina after a long period of time. This is a trademark of vintage akoya. Some people find it very beautiful.

Freshwater pearls are more porous than akoya, so while they are all nacre, they do absorb more oils and other things in the environment.

In both cases, it really depends on how well they are cared for. Pearls are organic and need to be cared for in order to keep their luster and color.

Akoya pearl luster is typically sharper and more metallic. Freshwater pearls tend to have a softer luster more like South Sea. But this is a general rule. You can have a medium to low-luster akoya strand and you can find metallic-white freshwater pearls. The metallic will have much higher luster. There is no one size fits all when it comes to pearls.
Thanks for the info!

Akoya pearls tend to patina after a long period of time. This is a trademark of vintage akoya. Some people find it very beautiful.

Freshwater pearls are more porous than akoya, so while they are all nacre, they do absorb more oils and other things in the environment.

In both cases, it really depends on how well they are cared for. Pearls are organic and need to be cared for in order to keep their luster and color.
So in your opinion, do quality freshwater pearls retain their original color longer than good quality akoya? Or vice versa? Or do both take on sort of a cream color within a decade or two? In terms of durability ( and the Pearl not becoming worn looking sooner) it sounds like freshwater pearls have the edge.

I don't think FWP have the edge.
I have a vintage akoya strand that still looks gorgeous-- great luster and color. It has more consistent luster and rounder shape than my metallic FWP strand. It also has better luster and more consistent color than my 2007 Freshadama strand.

If you can afford to buy a really good strand of akoyas, I'd get that. Otherwise get the best FWP you can afford.
If perfect roundness is important, get the akoyas.

Also-- I like to give my pearls a gentle wipe with a soft microfiber cloth after each wear.

Thanks so much for your input! Damn, I had just about talked myself out of an akoya necklace due to longevity/durability issues (and price, of course). But NOW I'm back on the fence. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😂😂

Thanks so much for your input! Damn, I had just about talked myself out of an akoya necklace due to longevity/durability issues (and price, of course). But NOW I'm back on the fence. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😂😂
But when it comes to perfect roundness, I guess I'm not a complete stickler. Because even the pictures of AAA grade freshwater pearls on Pearl Paradise look plenty round to me--- and they are even more affordable than the freshadama. It's cheaper to buy a full set (necklace, earrings, bracelet) of AAA grade freshwater pearls--- AND at a slightly larger size--- than one strand of decent AA+ Akoyas. And another thing that heavily influences me is the fact that my girlfriend is not remotely snobby (or remotely knowledgeable) about jewelry. I mean, so far I've gotten her really nice stuff. And I'm very particularly when it comes to diamonds in particular (I go for magnificent cuts and sacrifice a bit on clarity, size, and color to reduce price). I've gotten her some really nice small colored precious gemstone jewelry (with more sparkly goodies coming down the pike to be dispersed for special occasions, etc). So I don't want to take a significant step down in quality when it comes to pearls since all the other stuff I've gotten her--- and the quality stuff I'm in the process of purchasing to give her later--- is really nice. But I'm not made of money. Not at all. 😵‍💫😂🤷 And knowing her as well as I do, I'm positive she would never even know what she was missing as far as akoya pearls go. So I'm torn. 😬😬😬

Could I get everybody's opinion on whether or not they would choose a AAA pearl necklace from Pearl Paradise that is really nice in a size 7.5-8mm.... or a AA+ Akoya pearl necklace from Pearl Paradise that is a size 7.0-7.5mm? Which do you think is a better value? I'm just going by my memory of a recent search on the PP site, but I think the lower graded pearl necklace is like double the price of a AAA freshwater pearl necklace would be (Even though it is slightly smaller and a lower grade).

But when it comes to perfect roundness, I guess I'm not a complete stickler. Because even the pictures of AAA grade freshwater pearls on Pearl Paradise look plenty round to me--- and they are even more affordable than the freshadama. It's cheaper to buy a full set (necklace, earrings, bracelet) of AAA grade freshwater pearls--- AND at a slightly larger size--- than one strand of decent AA+ Akoyas. And another thing that heavily influences me is the fact that my girlfriend is not remotely snobby (or remotely knowledgeable) about jewelry. I mean, so far I've gotten her really nice stuff. And I'm very particularly when it comes to diamonds in particular (I go for magnificent cuts and sacrifice a bit on clarity, size, and color to reduce price). I've gotten her some really nice small colored precious gemstone jewelry (with more sparkly goodies coming down the pike to be dispersed for special occasions, etc). So I don't want to take a significant step down in quality when it comes to pearls since all the other stuff I've gotten her--- and the quality stuff I'm in the process of purchasing to give her later--- is really nice. But I'm not made of money. Not at all. 😵‍💫😂🤷 And knowing her as well as I do, I'm positive she would never even know what she was missing as far as akoya pearls go. So I'm torn. 😬😬😬

Could I get everybody's opinion on whether or not they would choose a AAA pearl necklace from Pearl Paradise that is really nice in a size 7.5-8mm.... or a AA+ Akoya pearl necklace from Pearl Paradise that is a size 7.0-7.5mm? Which do you think is a better value? I'm just going by my memory of a recent search on the PP site, but I think the lower graded pearl necklace is like double the price of a AAA freshwater pearl necklace would be (Even though it is slightly smaller and a lower grade).
My mistake! I just checked: the AA+ akoya necklace is basically 3 times the price of the AAA freshwater pearl necklace on the pearl paradise site (and it is a slightly smaller size).

So I guess my mind is made up. I just can't justify paying so much more for the AA+ akoya necklace. 🤷 But do you guys think it's worth the extra $310 to buy the freshwater freshadama Pearl set versus the regular AAA grade freshwater Pearl set? Especially considering the fact that my girlfriend probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two anyway? And would be delighted with either? Is there really over $300 worth of noticeable difference between the two sets? I guess I could buy one of each of and compare 'em side by side.... and then send one back since they have such a good return policy. Or does Pearl Paradise not allow that kind of comparison shopping?

Sorry for blowing this thread up! And I appreciate all of your responses in advance.

Could the nice fellow from Pearl Paradise chime in on their policy about buying two pairs in order to comparison shop.... and then sending one back? Is that allowed, Jshepard?

Why not ask for comparison photos - Pearl Paradise has a great photo studio and can do stills and video.
(pearls absorb more than water. They soak up perfumes. We still remember with horror a necklace which came back for re-stringing and reeked of a particularly pungent scent)
Have a think about what your pearl priority is - size, metal of clasp, can you live with a few surface flaws? What about colour matching? And, of course, luster. Contact them with this info and I'm sure they will fine two or three alternatives for you to look at.
And can I suggest you do this after Christmas when we're a bit less hectic?

Last edited:
Asking for comparison photos is a great idea. I'm sure it's also ok to order both and send back the one you like less. I expect lots of folks do that.

You need to respect your own budget...but IMO if you can afford the Freshadama set, I'd get those. It's not a question of snobbiness. Better is better. Rounder and more lustrous is better than less round and less lustrous.

I quoted this to another poster recently, and I think it applies: “Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten” –Aldo Gucci.

Back