Compiling a strand

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
I shot this video at a wholesaler's office last week. You can see the thought process as this very skilled lady makes up a strand of the new purple natural colour freshwaters from loose pearls. (They're sold out now...)

Fascinating, I like the use of chopsticks to pick up the pearls. Thank you for the video!

It's bamboo tweezers not chopsticks. they are incredibly brill for sorting pearls. As soon as you pick up a pearl the warmth from your fingers can start to be absorbed and if it isn't warm (ie here now even with heating) you get a blush of condensation on the pearl, just enough to smudge the colour and lustre, so you can't match it with another one.
The bamboo tweezers mean you can easily move the pearls around without this happening. V neat and useful tool

That was great!

I have beading tweezers that I like to use-- they have a spoon-shaped, round, coated end that cups around the bead or pearl without scratching it. They make it easier to pick up and place the pearl. Condensation isn't a problem here, just my clumsy fingers!

Wendy, that was absolutely fascinating! So much better than the two hour movie we just watched!

Thank you so much for shooting and sharing this with us.

I'm assuming that some of the small groups of pearls were pearls that were a different colour group, and some were a different size? I always find it amazing to watch skilled people do something, because they take something hard and make it look easy.

Back