No announcement yet.

First Basic Strand Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not associated with PP or any other pearl sellers. These are just a few observations I'm made.

If you actually compare prices, you will see that the relative cost of the necklaces goes up per size of pearl. Whereas 6.5-7mm 18-inch Freshadama strands cost 4.2 times as much as studs of the same size, and 7.5-8mm 18-inch strands cost 4.5 times as much as matching studs, when you go up to 8.5-9mm the necklace costs 8 times as much as the same size studs. That is, the cost of the earrings is proportionately less as the pearl size increases.

From this I conclude that much of the cost of the studs is in the finding and the labor.

If I may suggest a better book than Tears of Mermaids, Renee Newman's Pearl-Buying Guide (5th edition) is very informative and beautifully illustrated.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying-G.../dp/0929975448

And if you like something with more people stories, I simply love People and Pearls: The Magic Endures. I read and re-read this one, and the photos are great too. And my word, what a bargain the book is now!
    http://www.amazon.com/People-And-Pea.../dp/006019331X
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Do not give money toward Tears of Mermaids!!! It is full of untruths, typos and BS - my personal, heart-felt opinion. The Renee Newman book is excellent, as is People and Pearls.

Pearl Dreams has made a great evaluation. The cost of the findings in earrings is a much higher proportion of the whole, than is the necklace. Imagine there was a finding for each pearl in the necklace - you would have a handful of them.

Comment

GG, you are such a Lady. ​ "Un-truths", otherwise known as Lies.
        Last edited by lisa c; 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Pearl Dreams and GemGeek, thanks for the tip. I will be adding Pearl Buying Guide to my list of reads, there are so many yummy photographs! Do you have any thoughts on Secrets of the Gem Trade: The Connoisseur's Guide?
          I am also raiding the local library this weekend

Your answers on the pricing of earrings vs necklaces makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought of it that way!

Comment

Yes, yes, yes to Secrets of the Gem Trade by Richard W. Wise and also his novel THE FRENCH BLUE, excellent winter or summer reading!
            Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Also have EXOTIC GEMS Vol 1 by Renee Newman GG, which has lots of great info and photos. I'd say any of her books would be worth investing in, and they are pretty reasonably priced.
              Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

I agree with Pattye on the books. Richard's book is a great all-around book on gemstones and the trade - very interesting. You can't go wrong with any of Renee's books. They are eminently readable and fact-filled.

Comment

I got Pearl Buying Guide in the mail and now I just have to resist reading it because I'm saving it for a camping read this holiday vacation. What I couldn't resist is getting this --> http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-1963-...-necklace.aspx AHHH
                  I haven't even seen the original AAA that I ordered, I am waiting for the Freshadama to arrive so I can have a good comparison seeing them both for the first time instead of having goggle-eyed over one of them while the other has yet to arrive. But I do know that I want a classic white basic strand and with that in mind I really wanted a colorful, non-round (but not entirely baroque, though the fireballs I have seen on this forum are absolutely gorgeous, I don't think I would be able to pull that off just yet) with really great orient for a more unique option on playful occassions. So when that necklace sprung up on PP after coincidentally seeing all the pictures in this thread: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pear...s-t165029.html I was floored. I am hoping that the strand I just purchased has similar color and luster. I originally wanted additional photos and to be able to select for a particular shape since they appear to vary from teardrop to more symmetrical oval but with the limited stock I felt like I couldn't wait. Does anyone have photos of a similar necklace or pearls that would probably be like the ones used for it?
                  Do you guys think this is a problem? I am hoping with these purchases (and a pair of earrings to match the white strand once I decide on the quality) I will have satisfied my urges for a while with a sobering credit card statement, but I am afraid this is only the beginning....
                  Thanks, all!

Comment

Great choice with those metallic pearls! I think you will find them amazing.

I'm sure I recall seeing that photo with all the strands before when Jeremy first listed the colorshifting strands back in August/September 2011. I seem to recall Jeremy said he mixed some metallics in with the colorshifting ones to make the multicolored strands.

I'd say you are in good company, too-- most of us who love pearls have multiple pieces. There are too many beautiful pearls to stop with just one or two. As long as you are paying your bills and meeting your personal financial goals, don't worry.
                    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-14-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khanzy View Post
                      Oh dear, after considering it for a while I decided to order a Freshadama strand as well, so that I can have them both in hand to compare and decide which to keep.
                      I have a strand each of the metallic whites and white freshadamas on their way to me from PP. I couldn't decide between the two with just photos. I think it will be much easier to make a decision when I can try on both necklaces. My pocketbook hopes I love one more than the other and don't have to have both lol! I hope you get your freshadamas soon...how can you stand not to open the AAAs??? Your muilticolor freshwater drop strand is lovely too! It is a great size and will be very versatile. Pearls are like potato chips, you can't have just one

Comment

Originally posted by LitGeek View Post
                        I have a strand each of the metallic whites and white freshadamas on their way to me from PP.
                        LitGeek, I have been wondering about how those two would visually compare. The metallic whites seem to be a bit more cool toned which wouldn't suit olive skin like mine, what do you think? I would love it if you were to take photos comparing the two (also with neck shots!). I have seen Freshadamas vs white metallics like this:
                        https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...lic+freshwater but I am a bit confused... Pearl Dreams, they are both amazing strands, do Freshadamas usually have a bit of a warmer tone or did you pick a strand that has a subtle color to the pearls?

Hahaha I am exercising my last bit of self-discipline by not opening the AAA's. I am still so distracted by looking at pretty necklaces online :O

Comment

khanzy, the Freshadamas were silver ros? in that photo.
                          They blend in a little too much with my skin tone but look very good on my daughter (whose skin is fairer), and I will probably give them to her at some point. At present she has little interest in them, apart from having borrowed them a couple of times over the years.

You could ask for Freshadamas with ivory tones...

For that matter I understand some of the metallics are a creamier white. Those might suit you more than the white-white ones.
                          Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 12-14-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Ohh, I did not realize that Pearl Dreams. I have to wonder if it would be easier for me to just show up in person to compare all the tones instead of having to order them by mail (if only I weren't on the East Coast..). Now I have to look for comparison photos online for the overtones..there was a really great reference on google images of a bunch of freshadamas, akoyas, and metallics with different tones but the actual photo doesn't seem to exist anymore. That and a comprehensive reference on skin tones/pearl tones.
                            And I was already ruminating over whether a white gold or yellow gold clasp would be better for the multicolor strand.. to complement the necklace without distracting from the pearls, or complement the skin tone..or both ideally?

I must be driving PP crazy on facebook messaging with all my questions..(you guys too probably)

Comment

I know the photo you are referring to-- it was posted on a Pricescope thread also (here: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pear...189200-30.html)
                              , but the photos are gone now. The photo came from PP-- maybe they still have it on file and can email it to you?

It's best if photos are uploaded directly to the forums; then they aren't lost. Photos that are only linked from hosting sites generally get deleted after a while.

Hmm, Mrs. Taylor is also on this forum under another handle. I will message her and see if she still has the photo.

Comment

That would be awesome! Thanks, Pearl Dreams. I also really liked Ashley's description of it http://www.purepearls.com/blog/2011/...one-everytime/
                                I just wish there were visual examples of different combinations to illustrate this but my guess is it is faster for a shopper to just see for herself. I must plan a pearl excursion..any reputable sellers on the East Coast?

Comment

Working...
                                X