Value and Quality

adgrish

A coworker purchased these freshwater pearls (set) for me on a recent trip to Manila for my 17 year old step daughter. It's an 18 inch necklace, bracelet and studs. I would guess them to be about 4-5 mm. I was just curious the approximate value. I paid $75 for the set.
IMG_0911[1].jpgIMG_0912[1].jpgIMG_0913[1].jpgIMG_0914[1].jpg

Well I'm a total novice... I see what looks like a pretty lustre and orient, and some lovely overtones....

But I see a strand poorly matched for overtone, irregular shapes and blemishes, and in the upper left of one photo it looks like they are not strung so well.

Value? Sorry, no idea. I paid around the same several years ago for a strand and studs a little larger than these, not as shiny, but they were far rounder and with few visible blemishes.

Hello adgrish,

Welcome,

Blossy's remarks are an accurate evaluation of the pearls. They are cultured freshwater pearls from China. They have been nucleated with a small piece of donor tissue instead of a bead, and so are all nacre. Also in their favor, they are not so perfect that they will be mistaken for faux/imitation pearls. If the clasps and earring findings are solid 14k gold that would add value to the pearl set. A gift of pearls is loving and memorable, IMHO.

Back