New to the forum and need some advice on a left field question!

wesleygalles

Hello all!

My name is Wesley. I'm new to this site, and I'd love any advice any of you might be able to supply me with.
My girlfriend has gone to study abroad in France for the next 7 months and I think this is the perfect time to leap into action on a plan of mine. She absolutely loves pearls, almost as much as she loves me, haha, and I'm thinking about popping the big question sometime in the near future. Now as I mentioned, she loves pearls. What better engagement ring to get her than one with a pearl? (I know because she's told me she wants one. ;D)
Now, buying a pearl ring is one thing, but I'd like it to be far more meaningful. I'd like to actually farm for the pearl I put in her ring. I know pearls are a rarity and that this is a big undertaking, however, with her being gone for 7 months, I find that this is the perfect opportunity to go farming/diving for one.
So, if anyone would have any words of wisdom, contacts of experienced divers, or just a step in the right direction, I would be so grateful!

Thank you so much in advance!
Wesley

EDIT: I live in North West Louisiana and I'm willing to travel anywhere in the continental US.

Last edited:
Hi Wesley

First off, are you in the USA?

Are you willing to go to Mexico? In Mexico there is a wonderful pearl farm run by wonderful people who farm some of the most rare and beautiful pearls in the world- the Sea of Cortez pearls. We have a lot of information about them on this forum. Search for Sea of Cortez on this site and a lot will come up.

Recently, one of the owners announced they are having special weekends where people can sign up to go down there and learn the pearl farm from top to bottom and also buy pearls. Guaymas has an airport and spending a weekend there is not very expensive and has some of the best seafood in the world.
Douglas McLaurin, M.Sc. Aquaculture
Perlas del Mar de Cortez
Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
Cortez Pearl Blog: perlas.com.mx/blog
Buy Cortez Pearls: www.perlasshop.com

There really aren't any pearls farms any closer, and I don't know of any that would be prepared to give you the experience you want, except one other farm in Australia who are member here too and they like people to come out and pick their pearls personally,
Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
Turtlehead Island
Escape River
Faarrr North Queensland, Australia.
www.torrespearls.com

I am in the USA. Northwest Louisiana, to be specific. Also, I'm really not interested in a perfectly round pearl, it could be misshapen to any extent and she'd love it! Haha. It would probably depend on where in Mexico, I guess if I'd be willing to drive far North, Mexico would be similar distance. =P

1062_w.gif

Caitlin, thanks again for the advice. I've sent an e-mail to the owner of Cortez pearls and I'm gonna see what I can do!

Wow - how exciting. I wish you luck in finding something for her yourself. A wonderful idea, making it as personal as possible.

This is true. there are a lot of people here who really,really want to go there. photos would be so great.

I have been there and can tell you there is nothing like it anywhere. And for seafood lovers, the food is absolutely fresh and fantastic.

If I end up going I'll certainly take as many photo's as I can! I got an my first e-mail back from someone at Cortez today and we're working out some details and hopefully will be arranging something soon!

Hi Wesley

That will be some trip - and some ring :cool:

don't forget to show us the finished article !

I give my vote to mspearlco.com; I've purchased loose natural mississippi pearls from them previously, all beautiful quality and all reasonably priced. Maya is absolutely a sweetheart and very helpful!

Did Wesley get the ring? Sounds like a trip that would make a nice proposal opportunity and let her pick out the pearl herself.

Be careful Wesley. I found many pearls while diving the Mississippi. I gave some to some pretty girls and looking back I don't know what happened to the pearls or the girls. :D But I'm sure you will have better luck.

Back