Graduation

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Hi
I've noticed with some of my latest strands in stock that the graduation has changed.
From the end it used to be smallest, getting gradually bigger to biggest in the middle, then gradually smaller again. What you would expect, in fact.
Now I am noticing that some strands are not quite so small, smallest, not quite so small, bigger, biggest etc etc
In other words the smallest are tucked about five pearls into the strand...which has the effect of making the strand look bigger.
Am I just spotting this or is this the new way of assembling a strand/ and what do pearl persons think of keeping up this assembly for necklaces?

I've noticed it too.
Thought it was me having been careless in not noticing it before....
I seem to spend a lot longer sorting the pearls by size these days.
Maybe because I'm a bit cranky, but I prefer the traditional graduation - smallest at the ends.

Yes, I think it's fairly recent. I first became aware of it about two months ago.
Yes, I'm pretty quick sometimes....
But now must dash before the heavens open again...

I don't understand the purpose of this temporary strand. Is it possible you are both discussing the same vendor and it's unique to them? Just curious.

P.S.: Love the website, Sueki!

Temporary strands are the strands upon which the pearls are threaded at the factory after drilling and sorting, into saleable necklace lengths - usually around 40cm to 45cm.

I have noticed this from a couple of my freshwater suppliers. Of course they could all be coming from one big factory but it is unlikely though not beyond the bounds of coincidence

About 30% of the temporary strands I bought late April/early May were the same, Wendy - I thought it was just me...

Back