Help choosing

Mervione

As some of you know, I?ve been looking around for pearls to use in my jewelry. I decided to buy from Pearlluna and I?m choosing between http://cgi.ebay.com/WHOLESALE-LOTs-...ryZ10246QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.com/WHOLESALE-LOTs-...ryZ10246QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . If you look away for the fact that the pearls in the 5 strand lot is bigger, why do you think they are so much more expensive than the 10 strand lot? About the same price for both, but you get 5 more strand in the other lot. Maybe I?m just a total amateur, but I don?t think the pearls in the 5 strand lot look much nicer. Any opinions about this?

The quality of the two lots appear to be similar, maybe the 5 strand lot has a little more luster to them. I think that the price is strictly related to size, if I had to to make a choice I would go with the larger pearls.

Mervione, size is everything. There are such a smaller proportion of pearls 9mm or more, they are always about twice the price of smaller pearls (even look at our favourite vendors with finished strands - price jumps enormously at the 9mm and plus level. It is the same everywhere. I think you would find that the 7mm pearls would be fantastic for jewellery making, and yes, the quality looks about equal.

Definitely the larger strands. Pearllunar isn't a bad vendor but the sizes may still be a little smaller than stated because unlike most of the vendors here, they give the largest dimension, not measured perpendicular to the drill hole. The 6-7 mm ones would be really tiny unless you have a specific use for it.

Oh! According to the specs, the cheaper is better (AAA). I think you would be paying for the size but you might want to note the AA+ surface - may mean it's not all beautiful? Sorry I've never bought from this vendor but heard good things.

IMHO you're evaluating apples and oranges. Pearl grading/pricing is so subjective. For example, the exotics. I purchased 1 strand of 5MM gem quality for $50 and 1 strand of 6MM not gem quality for $60. To put pearl buying into the American "more bang for the buck" mentality, you need to have a uniform grading system and go by momme (did I spell that right?) or kg. Try evaluating each strand individually and determining not which is the better value of the two, but "do I wish to pay X dollars for this strand."

Hi Mervione,
I've bought from this seller many times.
From my own experience, I'd say you will be better to go for the five strands. He does tend to use the Chinese method of sizing pearls - i.e. they will be closer to the smallest size quoted, if not smaller.
I've never been disappointed with his pearls - the lustre is amazing - but I always expect them to be smaller than stated.

Last edited:
When I ordered my strand from them I asked specifically how large the pearls were and as expected, they were smaller. When they heard that I am a member of the Pearl-Guide Forum, they hastened to answer my mail and even wanted to cancel my order, as the pearls did not come up to the size given.

Generally the 5 strands look better, even though the shape on the 10 pcs were better acc. to the seller. Size is important and your 10 pcs might turn out to be really small.

Knotty: Reason why I asked was because I was wondering if there was any blemishes or lack of luster I couldn?t see, since I?m very much an amateur I wanted the pros on this page to tell me if they were about the same in luster and blemishes. (I can?t even see any blemishes myself...)

I?ve decided to go for the bigger ones, I think you all are right about the small ones being really tiny since they lie a little about the size of the pearls. I?ve also decided no to care that the bigger ones "only" are AA+ in surface since they look great to make and I can?t see any blemishes, although they?re probably there somewhere. I read on another thread that when buying from Pearlluna you shouldn?t care about the description, but about the pictures... I think that?s accurate to when buying pearls from all sellers, since every seller can have their own grading system...

I?ve decided to get one of these lots too http://cgi.ebay.com/Wholesale-LOTs-...ryZ10243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . I know they?re small but the colours are just so nice and it looks like they shimmer in different colours. I`m sure I?ll find a use for them...

The pearls are truly not bad for the price, but don't expect anything higher than AA+ max. Helps to save you from some disappointment. Their rounds are usually off-rounds. I'd say they are pretty pearls.

The sizing is used by pretty much all of the Chinese sellers. They aren't intentionally trying to mislead. Pearllunar actually weighs the pearls before sending them to be sure they are in the right size classification - it's just not the size you're expecting. None are really round, but most of them are very pretty. Some of my favorite pearls come from Pearllunar.

. When they heard that I am a member of the Pearl-Guide Forum, they hastened to answer my mail and even wanted to cancel my order, as the pearls did not come up to the size given. .

PHWAH! P for POWER! :cool:

Back