Stinky Edison Freshwater Pearls (!!)

Myizzkie

Community member
Hello Pearl Pros,

I just purchase some loose edison pearls from Etsy for my new pet project - learning to string them for the first time :rolleyes:

Vendor drilled them before they were shipped to me. They were still covered in dust (i assume from drilling) so I gave them a bath of diluted castile soap with filtered water (per recommendation in this forum). Soap water - water - water. Repeat. Then I left them dry overnight wrapped in clean paper towels.

This morning I open them up. The babies look pretty but they have odor that I never smelled before in pearls. I looked up through the forums and online site and wonder if the pros here can recommend me what to do;

- Some said baking soda over night and rinse next day, some said hydrogen peroxide then soak, what is the best for edison freshwater?
- i used lavender castile soap as i do not plain one on hand, does that matter?

Thank you so much.

Exactly what kind of stinky smell? Rotten fish? Rotten eggs? Rotten vegetation? Something weird like formaldehyde?

Hello BWeaves - hmmm... not sure how I can describe -- they (not all but some) smell like unwashed fresh Oyster. Not something rotten, rather seafood-like. I would have to sniff them very closely to get the smell but I would like to clean the smell away before stringing (and wearing) them.

Well, if it smells like fresh oyster, then I think you're OK. I also think the smell will dissipate if you let them air out a little bit more. The drill hole may still be damp. Once that dries out, the smell may go away.

As a weaver, I find wet silk and wet wool can have a wet dog sort of smell that goes away completely once the fabric is dry.

Hello BWeaves - hmmm... not sure how I can describe -- they (not all but some) smell like unwashed fresh Oyster. Not something rotten, rather seafood-like. I would have to sniff them very closely to get the smell but I would like to clean the smell away before stringing (and wearing) them.

This smell goes away after a short while. Don't worry. Just leave your pearls in a well ventilated room for some time

Back