Akoya VS South Sea

M

missseattle98112

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about buying a pearl necklace, but I'm not sure which one should I get. I did a search and found the 2 necklaces that I'm interested in:
The first one:
http://www.pearloasis.com/catalog/c...HIPTYPE=3-day&SUBCAT=N18&COLOR=&LENGTH=&SIZE=
It's a southsea necklace 10MM - 11.56MM Light Golden South Sea Pearl 18.5 inches- $3079
and the second one:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=119
Akoya necklace 9-9.5MM 18 inches-$2350
Which one is the better buy? Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know what's the biggest size for Akoya pearl? Where can I get it? Please help. Thank you.

Well, a Golden South Sea necklace is much more valuable than an Akoya strand - typically. But a golden strand in that price range is going to be of low quality. You can see that the pearls are quite light in color, have substantial blemishing, and probably not be too round.
An Akoya strand in the 9-9.5mm size, however, is exceptionally large for its size. The largest I have ever seen in 10mm, but even a 9.5 is very rare and getting more rare each year as production slows in Japan.

Between the two I would say the Akoya is the better strand if the pearls are round with a good luster and good surface, but it really is comparing apples to oranges. This is strictly based on price and quality. Akoya strands in the 9.5mm range can be found retail for $10,000 range up to $40,000 (that I have seen) as can good quality South Sea strands. I think the listed Golden South Sea strand is priced at value.

I must concur with Michael. I think the Akoya is the better buy. With the increase in prices for the larger pieces the strand on pearl paradise is priced really, really low. If you calculate the price per momme for a strand of 9mm to 9.5mm Akoya pearls the Namadama (pre-treat harvest) is almost priced like this necklace in a second tier quality.

I agree with Michael here. Golden South Seas are gorgeous and a must-have in my opinion, but a Golden South Sea strand in that price range is going to be of low quality and lower value. I would recommend going with the Akoya strand. The Akoya strand is going to be of much higher quality and be a better value. Always go for quality! It will hold its value much better. Also, consider that they are going to look very different as far as size, color, luster, and quality. What do you think you will be happier with when wearing it?

Back