Cap pendant setting v. head pin setting

Bluebyrd

Are pendant setting where a head pin goes through the whole pearl, so it is secured on both ends, much more secure than a cap pendant setting? If so, why are head pin settings not used more? Thanks.

If glued in properly the cap is secure in a half-drilled pearl. Although I have a few pendants made with fully drilled pearls, I prefer the look of the half-drilled pearl with a cap or other top-drilled setting.

Thanks PD! I agree the half-drilled cap is more attractive. I am looking for my first Tahitian pendant, right now. I have fears of finally finding the right one, getting it, and having it fall off.

I personally prefer half drilled pearls in cap setting than a full drilled in head pin, but sometimes a design works better with fully drilled pearls. I think both are secure.

The same could be said for drop earrings. I prefer-half drilled, too.

The less invasive the drilling, the prettier the pearl. I prefer the look of half drilled for pendants.

If the pearl is drilled all the way through, it makes me think the pearl was taken out of a necklace and used as a pendant. That's not necessarily the case, but it's where my mind goes.

Back