Loose Pearls

1004wings

I have been searching on this forum for a few hours now and can not find a definite answer to my question. I would like to buy decent quality pearls that are not drilled or put into jewelry all that I can put them in a display. (I collect pearls). At first I thought about buying oysters and opening them to get pearls but realized they were way too overpriced and the process of placing those pearls inside is just inhumane and a waste. So now I am just looking for a place online that sells good quality round pearls for a nice price. I do not mind if they are different colors. In fact I think the dyed ones are very beautiful. Also I do not really care for the pearls selling value since I dont plan on selling them after or saying they are rare and exspensive. Once I do live close to an ocean or at least visit one then I can start my hunt for natural pearls to tell everyone that they are rare and exspensive. Thanks in advance!!!

Do you know what type of pearls you are looking for?

Pearl Paradise had source undrilled pearls within the last few months.

You said,
"I do not mind if they are different colors. In fact I think the dyed ones are very beautiful."

I think you may be thinking of freshwater pearls. Those are the ones that are being dyed blue, red, green etc. (and falsely sold as akoyas). Freshwaters also come in many natural pastel shades of pink/peach/lavender.
Akoyas may be dyed black, but not those other colors.

you could try gemrockauctions.com too. They aren't going to be as high quality as the ones you'll find from many of the vendors here, but the site is very selective about the sellers it allows and you can be sure you're actually getting what they say they are selling.

FWIW, the more you know about pearls, the more you'll want pearls that are beautifully colored with no dyes. Beautifully colored pearls with clean surfaces and round are not going to be cheap. They will be more expensive than the pearls in a shell price, but at least you'll be getting quality and something that you won't get tired of.

PoshPearls.net has pearls up for "adoption". ;) :p They are cultured freshwater pearls, or they may be shell pearls. (I am still learning how to tell the difference, to be honest.) BUT regardless they are very pretty loose pearls, not drilled, and though a little pricey for what they are they are not badly expensive considering some of the rip offs out there.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the website I mentioned in any way. I just happened to notice while browsing and thought it might be helpful.

I looked at the loose pearls on poshpearls.net, and do not recommend them. The "adoptables" are dyed feshwater pearls, overpriced for what they are. They also sell oysters with freshwater pearls in them (to be opened at the awful Facebook pearl parties). Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Back