Your first pearls - when and how?

Great to see you Knotty!
Where is your story on "Your first pearls - when and how" ?

I had a strand in college that my mum had given me...I wore them to my first fraternity party..they didn't survive..I have a vague memory of them hitting the dance floor after someone pulled and broke them..then they were kicked around till I lost track of them...AT0 ... sigh... Didn't have another strand for 30 yrs..then I found Cath Cardinelli and bought some big fat 10-13mm purpley ones...I was hooked... three years later I'm buying them in from Hong Kong lol

Oh Katbran! I cringe to think of your pearls being kicked all over the dance floor. I could see where that might put you off getting more for a while.

And with that, I urge everyone to check your strands to see if they need restringing! Silk in particular does pick up oils and dirt and becomes weak over time if worn much.

I'm enjoying all the stories, even the sad ones. Great topic!

My first pearl was a simple solitaire pendant given me by a high school "steady" boyfriend, a white akoya with simple white gold cap and chain. No longer have that one, unfortunately. I don't remember being particularly enchanted by the pearl itself.

Not until I saw my first strands of baroque freshwaters and baroque Mikimoto akoyas in the mid 90's when I was working in fine jewelry sales~that's when I saw pearls that intrigued me. We sold top quality Mikimoto necklaces, but they just weren't for me.

The first pearls I bought for myself were a huge white mabe enhancer and earrings, which I still have.

Pattye, you reminded me to include my second "first" pearls as well. The first pearls I actually bought for myself , well it is a toss up between a single strand graduated Mikimoto, don't know the grade as I bought it on the secondary market, silver clasp with the authentic M clamshell and they look pretty fine, original box too; and around the same time a necklace from India that had a sparkly pendant of what looks like rubies and diamonds (not!) and pearls, which was sold to me as faux pearls and I knew they were real. Still have the Miki, still have the pendant, sadly not a clue what happened to the pearls that were on the pendant, I took the necklace apart as it was one of the typical India pieces with a cord in the back, etc. I probably strung them up and sold them years ago, and they were probably very good pearls too. Now that I am learning more about pearl quality, sure would like to see those again!

My first pearl necklace.
In 1991 when Soviet Union RIP we could visit relatives in Poland. My mother purchased for me Chineese rice CFWP and I thought that it was real wild pearls. Now I don't think so))

Judged by the picture (can't be sure though), the red color beads are more likely to be garnets. Very elegant!

My first pearl-involved purchase was a piece where pearl was just a supporting role (but an important one:))
I got this brooch from a little antique shop for my mum. It is decorated with moonstones, aquamarines, rose quartz and a smoky quartz with a round little pearl, set in 925 silver. I don't know how old this piece is, neither does the seller of this brooch. But I fell in love with it and purchased it without much hesitation.
Because of that little pearl donning the brooch, my mum started to appreciate the beauty of pearls, and has become a fan of pearls ;)
Since then, buying pearls for her as birthday gift is one of the safest choices!
Moonstone-Aquamarine-Quartz-Pearl brooch2.jpg

What a beautiful combination of creamy pearls and a peacock tahitian!

If you are referring to Nora's post, that is a Pteria Sterna pearl from the Sea of Cortez. It is a different species than Tahitians (pinctada margaritifera)and produces rainbows on its finest pearls and many colors are not the same as Tahitians, though the best of both are very colorful.

Cortez pearls is the only pearl farm in the world that raises these pearls.

Pattye,
Can you show us the mabe enhancer and earrings? It's fun to enjoys pictures of pieces with high sentimental value.

Moonstones with blue sheen are hard to get nowadays. Most of the newly mined moonstones are of creamy tones. Many new batches of "rainbow moonstones" are indeed the cheaper (but still nice) labradorites. If you have antique shops nearby, you can try your luck there.

If you are referring to Nora's post, that is a Pteria Sterna pearl from the Sea of Cortez. It is a different species than Tahitians (pinctada margaritifera)and produces rainbows on its finest pearls and many colors are not the same as Tahitians, though the best of both are very colorful.

Cortez pearls is the only pearl farm in the world that raises these pearls.

Caitlin,
Yes indeed! Ou....I always thought the black pearls are produced by the same type of oysters. Thanks!
Very enchanting Cortez pearls. Here in Malaysia, I still haven't see any black pearls with such excellent orient. Hopefully my wallet is fat enough to get one soon :)

Aw. I like this thread. My first pearls were very recent! An 8mm 18" strand of ivory toned AAA freshwaters from Pearl Paradise.
IMG_0842.jpg

Pattye,
Can you show us the mabe enhancer and earrings? It's fun to enjoys pictures of pieces with high sentimental value.

Moonstones with blue sheen are hard to get nowadays. Most of the newly mined moonstones are of creamy tones. Many new batches of "rainbow moonstones" are indeed the cheaper (but still nice) labradorites. If you have antique shops nearby, you can try your luck there.

Apologize for not seeing your post until today, WallaceL, here is a photo of the set, they are 22mm. For some reason the macro on my camera makes it look like the enhancer is larger. Earrings with omega backs, 14k, and marked Hong Kong, the first time I've ever seen that. I've always liked the graceful, sort of floral design, and thankfully the diamond is very tiny, just a personal preference. These were a lucky purchase from a shopping channel, if I recall correctly, at least 20 years ago.

P1000443_exposure.jpg

Thanks for the tip to hunt down good moonstones, and I do appreciate labradorite, too!

Pattye,

What a gorgeous set!
This floral design is indeed an awesome inspiration for the design of a pendant I am about to make using the white south sea pearl that I just purchased.

What a lucky and wonderful purchase!

Such pretty pictures! My very first pearls were small freshwater (rice?) pearls, made as part of a necklace with another stone. It was made by my cousin, and she made a similar one for my sister. The stones were supposed to be related to our birthstones, mine is opal so she didn't use that, the one she used was a solid, dark blue color (can't remember what it was). My sister's has natural garnet stones. At the end of each, she put one stone from the other necklace, and a small quartz heart. I always thought that was a sweet touch. I wish I had pictures, but they're still in my mother's jewelry drawer for safekeeping. They were perfect for a first strand of pearls, I think, and I have loved freshwater pearls ever since. My first pair of round pearls was given to me by my father when I turned sixteen. I have no idea what kind of pearls they are, and again, no pictures. I will inherit one of the three strands of my grandmother's wedding pearls also. Boyfriend is the one with the good camera, I should drag him to my mom's house to photograph them for me sometime! :)

My first pearls were a 10-15 strand torsade of small rice crispy pearls strung with 2 akoya pearls which had been languishing in my mother's jewelery box unworn for a good decade. While I enjoyed giving that necklace new life, it wasn't the strand that caused my pearlitis. A PP Freshadama strand is to blame for that.

Back