Yes or no?

BosSerb

hi there! I went shopping today and i noticed something that caught my eye, it was a pearl pendant, or so i thought. I bought it and when i brought it home it seemed to have a flake on it. I peeled at it a little and a whole layer came off, i wanted to know if it is real or not, the jeweler said it was. You can see the flake on the left side of the "pearl". IMG_20140930_172550_190.jpg

I can't really see anything. Does your camera have a macro (small flower) lens?
No, I'm sorry, that's probably the best I could get the picture. I looked at the "pearl" a bit closer and it does seem to have some flaws on it. When it peeled it seemed to be clear but had kind of a rainbowish tint to the flake. I hope that helps somehow. I don't want to end up giving someone a fake pearl.

I see the blurry flaked-off matter on the table to the left of the butterfly. Certainly looks odd.

Just curious, what is the metal of the pendant? What were you told the stones are?

That's what I thought Bos meant... its not a mark on the pearl..its on the table at about 10 o'clock near the pearl. Looks like a tiny bit of cellophane. Can you see on the pearl where that coating has come off..did it leave a mark behind?

Is it possible to put a thin coating, like the AB coating on glass beads, over a pearl to make it more shiny?

Hard to see from the picture, but it might be a clear coat applied after the pearl was harvested. If that's the case, you may be able to peel the remainder to reveal an otherwise nice pearl.

Is the flake at all flexible? Acrylic or lacquer are flexible, nacre is not.

It is probably a treatment / coating of some kind to enhance the luster of the pearl. Usually these treated pearls have an oily slick look on it.

I went to another jewelry store and I looked at pearls I KNEW were real and compared them to this one, and this just seems to be a bad imitation. It looks like a silverish ball now since the 'coating' peeled off. Shame that i would be conned into buying fake.

Don't feel bad, a lot of us have been duped. And this was just one "pearl"! You'll be more careful from now on.

BosSerb - Sorry to hear about your "pearl" but as others have said you're not the only one!

Back