Yamamoto saltwater pearls

Anne21

Many thanks for all the information here in this forum! I've been reading for a while and finally registered. Although I've learned a lot, the main thing I've realized is how much more I have to learn.

To that end, I have searched for information on Yamamoto cultured pearls. I have an approximately 24" strand of probably about 6mm pearls purchased in 1996. The fish hook clasp has 14K next to what I have to guess is a tiny open oyster. Looks like a tiny Pac-man. There is a certification stating that they are saltwater cultured pearls from Yamamoto Cultured Pearl Jewelry. I have not been able to find any information on this company other than it's apparently no longer operating under that name. I've searched this forum and googled and I don't find any reference to them, or to Yamamoto pearl jewelry.

As it appears to me that many people with a wealth of pearl knowledge post here, I bring my question to you. Any of you familiar with Yamamoto, or have you even heard of them at all?

Thank you!

Could it be Yamamoto Pearls, (212) 752-660018 E 48th St, New York, NY 10017? If it is a wholesaler, they will not always publish their information. :)

What a special necklace! A special edition from Mikimoto. That's kind of elite. I was surprised at the low winning bid for the one on ebay. People obviously don't know what they are. That was good research, PD, a gold star for you!

Anne 21, would you share a photo of the necklace and even one of the cert and the little pac-man? This kind of artistic collaborative effort is a rare thing, even if the public has not noticed. It would be wonderful to have a photo record for the next person who wants to look up the brand.

Thank you for the links to the article and the ebay sale. I too am surprised that it went for that price. Someone got a prize! Guess that's what keeps people trying!

Caitlin, I'll be glad to try to post pictures, although I must point out that mine is not the Yamamoto/Mikimoto collaboration, as it was purchased at least ten years before the article. It's been so overcast and rainy that we haven't had much daylight so I've been challenged with the indoor lighting and don't have a good picture of the clasp yet. My camera is only 10MP, but I am using the macro setting.

e500 Kalba  Pearls 014e500 Kalba  Pearls 010

Here are both sides of the certificate.

Attachments

• e500 Kalba  Pearls 005
    e500 Kalba Pearls 005
    33.2 KB · Views: 59
I love this : " Wear your pearls proudly and often. The wearing of your pearls will enhance your beauty as well as the beauty of the pearls" ! Lovely piece, enjoy it!

e500 Kalba  Pearls 006e500 Kalba  Pearls 011

Thank you all for the compliments! Yes, this is probably my favorite. I actually hadn't seen the little Pac-man/oyster marking until reading this forum because I usually don't undo the clasp, just slip them on over my head. (Maybe that's a bad idea?) I have taken some more pictures and have one that at least sort of shows the marking, although this particular one doesn't show the 14K very well. I also have a picture of the pearls in their box with the Pearl Yamamoto logo in the top. And I have some others with mysterious markings that I know even less about, but they may be a subject for another thread.

Look at that. A lobster claw clasp. That clasp should not occur on pearls that should feature the miki/yama collaboration and they aren't called that, even on the card. Maybe this one is from the Yamamoto pearl company GemGeek mentioned earlier.

Well-worn and thin nacre, I'd say. The clasp must have been added with a re-knotting.

Can y'all see that little oyster/Pac-man at all on that picture? I can try again but so far that's the best one I've gotten. Maybe it requires a BIG monitor! :)

Really? It looks like a normal clasp to me, other than the loop that holds the ring on the end of the pearls. That looks kind of swirly. Maybe take a high-res photo and us a picture manager to crop it and then enlarge the photo. I'd love to see what you see. :)

e500 Kalba  Pearls 001

Let's see if this works. On the hook, up close to the ring. You can't read the 14K very well in this, but maybe you can see the oyster thing.

Oh, I know this isn't the Yamamoto/Mikimoto collaboration because my pearls are older than that. Just curious because searching for Yamamoto pearls wasn't yielding much in the way of results.

i think the yamamoto who collaborated with mikimoto is an entirely different yamamoto, unfortunately. yohji yamamoto, a Japanese fashion designer, is the collaborator. I don't think he'd done pearls exclusively before.

beautiful pearls, still!

The Yamamoto pearl guarantee cards seem similar however. Yamamoto need not have done pearls exclusively; it could be a division of the company that did the pearls.

Hi Anne21,

Can you tell me which thread did you read with info on the oyster pacman mark? What does it mean? I must admit I have bought quite a few pearls since the first Akoya strand I found. I have a pinkish stand that has a symbol like that and would love to know what it means. Thank you so much ~d

Attachments

• e500 Kalba  Pearls 008
    e500 Kalba Pearls 008
    33 KB · Views: 50
  • e500 Kalba  Pearls 004
    e500 Kalba Pearls 004
    43.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 51
Back