White Quahog Pearl

CCPearl

Hi

Trying to find someone in Massachusetts to look at this quahog pearl I found.

I already emailed Kari's and no response. Emailed the Pearl Collector and haven't heard back yet. ( just emailed yesterday)

I see some other posts from people around Cape Cod. Didn't know if they found anyone local.

Thanks,
J

Attachments

• IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 30
The Atlantic Quahog (Mercenaria mercenaria) is a bivalve of Sub-class: Heterodonta, Order: Veneroida. Given that, are not considered highly nacreous.

However, where pearls of this type fall short on lustrous surfaces they have some desirability for size, shape and color.

This pearl presents with typical venus clam features. Approximately 6-7 mm, nearly round (or button shaped) and porcelain white.

Pattye mentioned cooking. This is very important, because prolonged exposure to heat and steam will destroy constituent proteins and revert aragonite tablets into calcite. Both significantly demerit quality and value. The more desirable type of quahog pearl are the purple variety, but some white ones are quite alluring, nonetheless.

Finding a natural pearl is a rare and exciting experience for any individual in their setting, but pearls from quahogs are not rare as a rule.

There is a retail market for these, but it's not vibrant.

More often than not, P-G users will advise retaining these as keepsakes. Likewise most contributors would be thrilled at the prospect of finding their own natural pearl.

It's a beautiful pearl and a wonderful find, congratulations!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Yes, we love to see people's pearls! Great advice from Pattye and Dave. Please give folks some time to reply as they probably don't check daily. :)

I still have this pearl and am looking to sell if anyone is interested please let me know.
Thx

Back