which type of pearls are these

kaisoni

DSCN1466.jpgDSCN1471.jpg
RSCN1470.jpgDSCN1469.jpg
RSCN1472.jpgRSCN1473.jpg
RSCN1474.jpgDSCN1476.jpg

Sometimes called seed pearls, these are a tiny type of keshi, a byproduct of pearl culturing. The FTC says that only natural pearls can be called seed pearls. So these are really tiny freshwater or akoya cultured pearls, although there isn’t a difference that can be discerned from a test because these are not nucleated, or “activated”.

Wouldn't you hate to have to drill these? ;)

2%20mixed%20seed%20pearls%20large[1].jpg

Kaisoni,

Welcome and please tell us more about where these pearls came from? They certainly are tiny, and look cultured to be so round. Still I see some ovals, button and other shapes, some dull ones too.

dear pattye,
first of all thanks to all of you here for your kind opinions,
these came to me from someone from jewelry trade circle
i make a test of these on my own, which can be explain better by this following image
RSCN1479.jpg

Are you asking if they are freshwater or saltwater? Or, are you asking if they are natural or cultured?

We can't tell from a photo, as they all will be solid nacre and will look very similar. To prove what they are with a lab report would probably cost more than they are worth.

Are you asking if they are freshwater or saltwater? Or, are you asking if they are natural or cultured?

We can't tell from a photo, as they all will be solid nacre and will look very similar. To prove what they are with a lab report would probably cost more than they are worth.

dear gemgeek
thanks for your kind response
don't u think that these are japanese akoya saltwater cultured pearls, due to following factors:-
1.) they are tiny and round in shape
2.) they contains nucleus in them which is a characteristic of saltwater pearls
3.) they have sharp mirror like luster
4.) they have quite thin nacre

thanks,
waiting for ur reply

It's possible that they could be akoya pearls. But it's more likely that they are freshwater. Pearls this small form spontaneously as part of the culturing process and do not have a nucleus. If they had a nucleus, it would be a very hard mother-of-pearl bead and the pearl would be much larger. Whether they are akoya or freshwater would not make a big difference in value. Are you wondering about their value?

My opinion on your points:

1) They have many shapes. Remember, it's the bead inside that makes akoya pearls more round.
2) There is no nucleus - they are solid nacre.
3) I would not describe the luster as sharp mirror-like luster.
4) They are solid nacre.

It's possible that they could be akoya pearls. But it's more likely that they are freshwater. Pearls this small form spontaneously as part of the culturing process and do not have a nucleus. If they had a nucleus, it would be a very hard mother-of-pearl bead and the pearl would be much larger. Whether they are akoya or freshwater would not make a big difference in value. Are you wondering about their value?

My opinion on your points:

1) They have many shapes. Remember, it's the bead inside that makes akoya pearls more round.
2) There is no nucleus - they are solid nacre.
3) I would not describe the luster as sharp mirror-like luster.
4) They are solid nacre.
dear gemgeek
thanks for ur reply
now i want to know that if there is no nucleus then what is substance in their core which i found upon cutting one of them by a jewelry cutter as you can see in my hand written explanation & drawing which is posted above
and if there is no nucleus why are these so round
pls tell me are these natural or cultured ?

They look like cultured freshwaters.

I see lots of off-round shapes there in the photos. Rounds can also form naturally, without a bead inside.
The luster in the photos does not look sharp to me. When luster is sharp, there is more of a contrast between the darker center and the lighter periphery of the pearl when seen under a bright light.

The chalky substance could very well be more nacre.

Pearl Dreams is right. The chalky center is just a form of calcium carbonate. A pearl doesn't necessarily form pearly nacre right from the start. There is no bead small enough to culture pearls this size.

These are keshi cultured freshwater pearls - not natural. Even if they were natural freshwater pearls, you would need lab testing to prove it and they are simply not valuable enough to warrant testing.

Do you think that you have received a windfall and will make a big profit selling these pearls?

Back