Where to purchase wholesale Akoya round Pearls at least AA+

Well there you go...you learn something new everyday! I had no idea you could order up pickled oysters with specific colour pearls inside lol I'd heard of the practice of 'find a pearl' but had no idea you could order grade and colour ! That's where I got confused lol

Voila, that's what I thought, Katbran... I didn't know that you could order the quality and color of the fwps inserted in the shells. I thought the company would just insert low quality fwps to make profit.

It's not that they are trademarked. Akoya pearls are pearls cultured in Pictada fucata oysters. They are different pearls than freshwater pearls-- a different entity, with different quality of nacre (sharper luster), and more valuable.

Selling freshwater pearls as akoyas is false advertising.

In Europe selling freshwaters as akoya, or even giving the impression that freshwaters were akoya would be applying a false trade description and a breach of European consumer law. I know of two wish pearl operations which have been shut down by trading standards officers in the UK because of their grossly inflated and misleading descriptions of the pearls

As to people buying the experience rather than the pearl, I think they would not care for the experience either, if they knew it was a sham.

Thanks PD and Pearlescence. I not only learn about pearls but also about laws and trade here on PG

Thank you so much Jeremy!

Actually "Open an Oyster" on Facebook is what got me interested in this business. I am going to be honest Pearls have never been "pretty" to me until watching this show. I love all the colors and so do those that watch. To those naysayers I can tell you that I now have an appreciation for Peals! And through my "research" which brought me here I have learned a lot and I am now personally interested in possibly buying some "Good Pearl" jewelry for myself.

Yes this show and other's like Vantel etc. has brought great excitement to many. People sit and watch. They watch with their families, they relax from the stresses in life and say "ooh" and ahh!" I feel many that do watch these show's are also growing to appreciate the "Pearl". This constitutes possible NEW customer's for those within this forum in your places of business and/or online stores down the line.

I have no intention/s to hurt or scam anyone. This is why I ended up here asking questions. I want to be upfront and honest in anything I do when I do it. In fact my daughter through her research did tell me these couldn't be Akoya because of the colors! And I didn't believe her! So thank you Jeremy for clearing that up for many! I also feel by Jeremy reaching out to the owner of the FB show mentioned brought "goodness" and "honestly" to the show and the "Pearl". The hard thing is people such as us can't actually GO to Japan or China. We have to rely on what we are told by wholesalers. That is why I asked if any of you knew good one's that you have worked with and trust.

I have to say again, I never knew pearls could be so beautiful and I am glad to be here.

Blessings

Lori

Hi Lori,

The farms are not involved in the process. Baby shells are purchased from hatcheries and pearls are inserted at factories. The shells, especially the freshwater, are juveniles. They are too small to have grown a pearl. The akoya shells are a bit closer to farm-able size, but the factories are still inserting freshwater pearls into them.

The easiest way to tell are the colors. When you see a natural peach or lavender pearl harvested, it's a dead giveaway the pearl is freshwater. When you see a black pearl harvested, you know that is impossible in nature. The pearl has already been dyed.

Shape is the next telltale sign. The pearls are always very off round to very slightly off round. They aren't inserting loose-grade pearls into the shells. The pearls, even freshwater, would cost more than they are selling the wish pearl set for. Akoya pearls are, by and large, perfectly symmetrical due to the bead.

Of all the wholesale operations I've seen, even those that promise the shells have akoya pearls inside, all of them have been freshwater. I've not seen a single one with akoya pearls. I've spent some time speaking with the young lady who started the viral "Open an Oyster" on Facebook and her supplier swore up and down they were akoya pearls. I watched her show and the pearls were without question freshwater pearls.

The advice I gave her was to call the pearls cultured pearls. Freshwater pearls are cultured pearls. Her show creates a lot of excitement. The audience loves to watch. As long as the pearls pulled from the shells aren't referred to as "akoya pearls," she isn't breaking any laws.

Lori, welcome. I applaud your desire to research and learn about pearls. I've opened a few "oysters" over the years ... most recently last summer with my little grandson ... a "pirate" pearl with a skull and crossbones pendant. He was thrilled, excited and impressed. It was an inexpensive activity, and the packaging was very honest and clear about exactly what kind of pearl was inside, AND how it got there. So, there was nothing to mislead a potential customer. I've watched and read much of the Facebook marketing of "Open an Oyster", and they skate some very thin ice, with lots of wording about "akoya oysters" and very little if any mention of freshwater pearls or implanting pearls in those shells. It becomes hard to separate what the seller is stating from the statements made by the myriad customers commenting and offering their own answers to questions by others. Hence there's a lot of misconceptions and misinformation that it seems the seller isn't really clarifying. What with the words "akoya" and "saltwater" being tossed around, it looks to me like nearly all the customers do believe they are buying rare and valuable saltwater akoya pearls. I do think the company should be more transparent in stating clearly what people are getting. I don't really think that would diminish the exciting experience of opening an oyster in hope of finding something lovely inside, so long as you realize you're paying for the experience, as freshwater pearls like these are worth far less than good akoya pearls. Good for you for doing your research! Welcome again; you will be amazed and astonished at what you learn and the beauty you will encounter here :)

Hi Cathy!

Thank you so much for the welcome! I bet your grandson had a blast! It sounds like so much fun! Yes I am sure many think they are getting Akoya Pearls. Some of the wholesalers are pretty tricky with their "Wording" that goes for those selling too. If you do not research you wouldn't catch it. They like to state Genuine Akoya Oyster with real Pearl! Now if you know what we know there are in fact stating the truth. But it's a very gray area and fine line to me now.

The show in question did say things a bit differently tonight which was good. And they did change wording on their site which is also good. But I really did not hear her make a statement as to the pearls actually being "fresh water".

Can I ask what colors are Akoya's? Because I know if they aren't all those different colors people wouldn't watch and probably wouldn't buy. Just my 2cents hahha.

Some people on the FB live last night stated their pearls were appraised for $100 and this and that. This surprised me because my daughter actually bought what they call a tray (5 oysters with pearls). She is 29 and wanted the excitement. She was very disappointed because she got 4 cream and one very light purple/pink. She looked at them and put them away and left them. Today she drove around to various jewelers (5) I think. All but 1 told her they were real but were grade A not grade AA+ fresh water. One looked at them very good said they were all scratched up from a knife and were worth maybe a total of $70 for all 5 and he didn't think anyone would want to buy them. She did find an actual peal jeweler he had his guy from in back come out. He looked and just shook his head and walked away. The salesperson told her that means just what I told you they are very bad quality pearls. This one even thought they might be fake due to all the knife damage. So why such different statements for peals from the same company? My guess would be a different supplier but I doubt I will ever know.

I sure wish I could find an honest wholesaler. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

I am sure I will have more questions! Thanks everyone!

Blessings

Lori

Lori, welcome. I applaud your desire to research and learn about pearls. I've opened a few "oysters" over the years ... most recently last summer with my little grandson ... a "pirate" pearl with a skull and crossbones pendant. He was thrilled, excited and impressed. It was an inexpensive activity, and the packaging was very honest and clear about exactly what kind of pearl was inside, AND how it got there. So, there was nothing to mislead a potential customer. I've watched and read much of the Facebook marketing of "Open an Oyster", and they skate some very thin ice, with lots of wording about "akoya oysters" and very little if any mention of freshwater pearls or implanting pearls in those shells. It becomes hard to separate what the seller is stating from the statements made by the myriad customers commenting and offering their own answers to questions by others. Hence there's a lot of misconceptions and misinformation that it seems the seller isn't really clarifying. What with the words "akoya" and "saltwater" being tossed around, it looks to me like nearly all the customers do believe they are buying rare and valuable saltwater akoya pearls. I do think the company should be more transparent in stating clearly what people are getting. I don't really think that would diminish the exciting experience of opening an oyster in hope of finding something lovely inside, so long as you realize you're paying for the experience, as freshwater pearls like these are worth far less than good akoya pearls. Good for you for doing your research! Welcome again; you will be amazed and astonished at what you learn and the beauty you will encounter here :)

Can I ask what colors are Akoya's? Because I know if they aren't all those different colors people wouldn't watch and probably wouldn't buy. Just my 2cents hahha.

Cultured akoya pearls do not naturally come in pinks, lavenders, or black. Black akoyas have all been dyed.

Normally they are white/cream, but when they come out of the oyster they are bleached to be uniformly white and to remove any undesirable grayish/greenish tones that may be present. Afterward they are soaked in a pinking solution, to produce a very slight rose undertone that is desirable in many markets. (But the rose is very subtle and the pearls look white against the skin.)

This bleaching and pinking is routine and is not a disclosed treatment (unlike dyeing them black, which ought to be disclosed to consumers.)

Cultured akoya pearls may also be a natural silver to silver-blue color, and some may be light yellow naturally. These are desirable colors. On this blog post you can see some naturally colored yellow and blue cultured akoya pearls from Vietnam:

http://blog.pearlparadise.com/2016/07/some-amazing-pearls-from-hong-kong-june-2016/

Last edited:
"...He was thrilled, excited and impressed. It was an inexpensive activity, and the packaging was very honest and clear about exactly what kind of pearl was inside, AND how it got there..."

The above, from CathyKeshi, is how I could see the "pearl in a mussel" thing being great, perhaps mainly for children and with no deception involved.

I really can't believe all the lies-for-profit that are allowed when it comes to pearls, whether on ebay, at tourist destinations around the world or etcetera. It seems to me a whole lot of people should be in jail.

"...He was thrilled, excited and impressed. It was an inexpensive activity, and the packaging was very honest and clear about exactly what kind of pearl was inside, AND how it got there..."

The above, from CathyKeshi, is how I could see the "pearl in a mussel" thing being great, perhaps mainly for children and with no deception involved.

I really can't believe all the lies-for-profit that are allowed when it comes to pearls, whether on ebay, at tourist destinations around the world or etcetera. It seems to me a whole lot of people should be in jail.

I think this is where much of it stems from. I think the second half of this document has been removed since I found it a couple weeks ago, but there is still this statement:

https://www.securedcontent.net/vantel/demoinfo/handouts/basic-training/keywords-dialogue.pdf

Our Vantel Oyster Farm location is Ago Bay - Japan. This is where they are harvested and cared for.All of our pearls are AAA quality Akoya saltwater pearls. Pearls range from A to AAAA quality

Attachments

• Vantel Pearl Value chart.jpg
    Vantel Pearl Value chart.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 54
Isn't it remarkable that some of the pearls have spontaneously and naturally dyed themselves black in the shell.
The valuations are a joke.
Thanks for the sleuthing on these parasites Jeremy.

I really just don't buy the desire for the "experience" on this one...pulling a pearl from a shell...I'd much rather be presented with some clean pearls to choose from, along with a glass of champagne to sip, while deciding...and then watch my pearls being strung in front of me (or set in earrings/pendants/rings).

On the chart, Wow.

Here are three undrilled pearls from my mom, which I believe at least two (maybe all three because mom was not in the jewelry business and didn't repair pearls) came from the open an oyster thing. I did one while in high school, so late 70s and the others were probably before that. One is really ugly, one is really nice, and the other is good. They are all between 6.25-6.8mm.

DSC08655.jpgDSC08645.jpg

You are too generous Jeremy. I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing
Snake oil salesmen know they are not selling snake oil.

Isn't it remarkable that some of the pearls have spontaneously and naturally dyed themselves black in the shell.
Hahaha that's hilarious Pearlescence! Maybe they're going to sell the black pearls as Tahitians next time....:p

Back