Where to buy chain for a tin cup?

CaseyR

A week ago I posted about finding the right pearl overtones for my eye color. Someone mentioned that I should also keep my skin tone. I'm pretty sure I found my colors for both. So I'm going to purchase 7 of the pearls I like and get started. I'm using baroque Tahitian pearls.

I'm wondering what type of chain to use and where to purchase it? I will probably use silver. Also, how thin or thick would you recommend the chain be?

One more question. What gauge wire should I get to put through the pearls?

Chain size depends on the size of the pearls and really just what look you prefer. I don't like to use fine chain if the tin cup is going to be long as it can break pretty easily... but it's on on a short necklace. As a rule I quite like 2mm ish. For really really big pearls I use 3mm sometimes.

As for wire..depends on the size of the drill hole. If you google 'wire gauge in mm ' you will get a chart you can print off and it will show you the mm size for each of the wire gauges.

Good luck with your project! I'd love to see pictures when you're done!

Sterling wire in 24g is 0.51-0.52mm thick and works well with most pearl drill holes. Like Katbran, I find most 2mm chain is strong and the links large enough for the wire to fit through. The design of the chain does make a difference, though. Most of my chain comes from Artbeads, Rio Grande or Stuller. What kind of chain appeals to you? Sounds like a great project, and who doesn't love Tahitians??!!

I'm glad you started this thread because i've been thinking about making a tin cup for myself too. I would love to see your finished project.

If you are making it for yourself consider getting hold of a broken chain if you haven't got one. You might be able to get a great deal from a jeweller who has taken one in for the melt (ie bought it to send to be melted down) as they will have paid a very low price and might be willing to sell for a deal. Not much point for silver or low carat but you could get a deal for 18ct
(hasten to point out that the tin cups on our website don't have chain obtained this way!)

Also consider how the chain will look in proportion to the wire loop holding the pearl. I like the loop to be about the same size as a link in the chain, so it merges almost seamlessly. For example, if you are using 0.5mm wire and a 1mm chain, your loop will be a lot heavier than the chain and it will not look well finished.

Also consider how the chain will look in proportion to the wire loop holding the pearl. I like the loop to be about the same size as a link in the chain, so it merges almost seamlessly. For example, if you are using 0.5mm wire and a 1mm chain, your loop will be a lot heavier than the chain and it will not look well finished.

Good tip. I hadn't considered that. I knew I'd find good advice here.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information :)

Pattye, I'm not sure exactly what type of chain yet. But maybe a simple rolo?

What size chain and drill hole (I can request a hole size) would work well for a 36" tahitian tin cup? Is the typical pearl hole size .9mm for tahaitians? I like the look of the seamless tin cup, where you don't see any wires, but all chain. How is the pearl held in place? Does the chain end up scratching the sides of the pearl?

What size chain and drill hole (I can request a hole size) would work well for a 36" tahitian tin cup? Is the typical pearl hole size .9mm for tahaitians? I like the look of the seamless tin cup, where you don't see any wires, but all chain. How is the pearl held in place? Does the chain end up scratching the sides of the pearl?

amti, you will need to wire wrap the pearl into the chain...it kind of looks like a little curly pig tail around a small loop of wire. It's very easy to do with practice, and should not scratch the pearls.

Also, if you are doing this yourself...I suggest a 2mm rolo chain. It's very easy to work with, and you can "count" the links easily to measure the lengths between the pearls. But before you buy chain, check your jewelry box...you might have something you can easily use! And remember that a 36" tin cup won't take 36" of chain. The pearls and the wire loops will add length, so lay it all out and measure twice!

Last edited:
In general, a chain about 2mm will be strong enough for a long necklace, 0.90mm hole is larger than necessary, 0.70 - 0.80mm is large enough.

Here's an example of 2mm chain, 24g wire, approx 10mm Tahitians. (Just finished this one last night. Gems are aquamarine with fossilized moss inside.) WHOA! Bigger than lifesize!!

P1000289.jpg

In general, a chain about 2mm will be strong enough for a long necklace, 0.90mm hole is larger than necessary, 0.70 - 0.80mm is large enough.

Here's an example of 2mm chain, 24g wire, approx 10mm Tahitians. (Just finished this one last night. Gems are aquamarine with fossilized moss inside.) WHOA! Bigger than lifesize!!

View attachment 36655

Pattye, I LOVE that look!! Those aquas are really lovely and compliment the pearls so well.

Very interesting and helpful topic. Pattye, I really like that necklace!

Love the necklace !! I love that Moss Aquamarine! What link is that chain..its sort of like a Rolo with flat bits :)

I agree with Pattye on the size...2 mm is a nice size..works for almost everything. It also depends on how much you want the chain to be a focus...sometimes I want the links to be important ( like the blue green silver and Tahitians I posted) other times I want it to disappear.

If I use really large pearls .. like huge ... and big stones I'll go up to 3mm ... or again if I want the chain to stand out.

Looking forward to seeing all these new tin cups! Pattye, beautiful tin cup with the beads... Gee, I really feel like getting some pearls and trying to make myself one, too! Exciting.

Back