When many pearl sellers use the same stock of photos

Newby

I have purchased pearls from Pearl Paradise from your advice thank you. Still checking out other sites.
I have noticed many of the online sellers use the same stock of photos. I believe they are the property of only one of the sellers. So there must be some sort of arrangement in place.
What does it mean when other sellers are using the same photo stock? Are they purchasing some of their products from the owner of the photos, and re selling themselves?

You could ask those companies that question; they are in the best position to know.

I agree with Pearl Dreams: best to ask directly!
Many vendors (especially on eBay and other sites) use "stock" photos or simply photos taken from other sites to promote their items (even if they don't have the same products). I've seen photos I have personally taken (and my hand is in those!) and that end up on sites that do not sell my pearls (I should say, my ex-pearls :irked:) at all!
So, it's really hard to say.

I know Pearl Paradise has their own photo studio and only use their own photos, so does Kojima, Druzy, Cortez and Pearlesence (amongst many others), but some may use "stock photos" provided by the likes of Jewelmer, Paspaley and others.

And if you do get an answer Newby do let us know what you think!

It's always a good idea to ask for pictures of the exact piece you are considering buying. Add that you would like to see it both in artificial and outdoor light. If they can't provide that, I wouldn't buy from them - in case of stock photos.

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to ask for pictures of the exact piece you are considering buying. Add that you would like to see it both in artificial and outdoor light. If they can't provide that, I wouldn't buy from them - in case of stock photos.

That's probably the easiest way to determine whether you're dealing with a legitimate seller. I've seen our photos used all over Ebay and various websites over the years. Sometimes the sites even have a copyright statement attached.

Asking for a photo of the pearls you're buying, especially in different lighting conditions, is a good way to tell. If they send you a photo that looks nothing like the original (this is easiest to tell with non-round pearls) or make up an excuse why they can't send another photo (everyone has a camera phone these days), you have the answer.

Very interesting discussion. I've seen the same photos for numerous vendors and wondered if they outsource the work. Say the main office is in NY and they get shipped from LA somewhere....is that common? How about when it takes WEEKS to get the item? Their excuse is that they are putting the piece together order by order. Then you have those who promise perfectly unblemished pearls. Your first one might be perfectly round and unblemished but then the next order looks like it's been through a war. Anybody experience these things?

Hi Heartofawareness. No, I've never experienced that, because I can usually tell a stock photo when I see one, having looked at lots of pearls online. I steer clear of those vendors. I stick with vendors who state, "The pearls in this photo are the exact pearls you will receive." Or I ask for photos of the exact pearls. If the photos are crappy, it means the vendor isn't even set up to photograph their actual pearls, so I won't buy from them. I stick with vendors I know and trust, who I've actually met at Pearl Paradise RUCKUS in past years, and as recommended here.

Unfortunately I didn't know about the stock photos until after I had placed order and searched the web only find the same photo used by different places.. Live and Learn. Lucky you you could attend the Pearl Paradise RUCKUS...I'm on the East coast...not so easy but I have found Pearl Paradise is head and shoulder above the others. Definitely the best experience has come from buying from PP. Thanks for your opinion @BWeaves BTW..I happen to see that you're from Orlando, FL (also E Coast) How did you find out about PP RUCKUS...I'd love to attend one of those one day :):)

If you use the Search feature to search for threads with "Ruckus" in the title, you can see all the threads about past Ruckuses, with photos. I really enjoy the threads as I have also not found it convenient to attend.

The last one was held in 2018, and so far none have been planned since the pandemic hit. If one is planned a thread would undoubtedly be posted.

yes..I'm still learning to navigate the massive amounts of posts and information (all great of course), LOL...I figured there had not been a Ruckus in a while because of the pandemic. Hopefully things will start to normalize soon...Thank you @Pearl Dreams....

Unfortunately I didn't know about the stock photos until after I had placed order and searched the web only find the same photo used by different places.. Live and Learn. Lucky you you could attend the Pearl Paradise RUCKUS...I'm on the East coast...not so easy but I have found Pearl Paradise is head and shoulder above the others. Definitely the best experience has come from buying from PP. Thanks for your opinion @BWeaves BTW..I happen to see that you're from Orlando, FL (also E Coast) How did you find out about PP RUCKUS...I'd love to attend one of those one day :):)
I found out about Ruckus from here, Pearl-Guide. Ruckus was put on by Pearl Paradise. And when they stopped, Kojima created Pearls By The Bay to replace Ruckus. Pearl Paradise, little h, Kojima, Kamoka, and Douglas from Sea of Cortez all would come. Plus Mikey, RIP. Jewelmer came once, too.

Since COVID, I've been hesitant to fly, and it's a 5 hour flight from here to California. But I really, really wanted to go, but I had other commitments this weekend. The lectures are great. And you get to meet a lot of the Pearl Guide commenters, and some really great online vendors in person.

I found out about Ruckus from here, Pearl-Guide. Ruckus was put on by Pearl Paradise. And when they stopped, Kojima created Pearls By The Bay to replace Ruckus. Pearl Paradise, little h, Kojima, Kamoka, and Douglas from Sea of Cortez all would come. Plus Mikey, RIP. Jewelmer came once, too.

Since COVID, I've been hesitant to fly, and it's a 5 hour flight from here to California. But I really, really wanted to go, but I had other commitments this weekend. The lectures are great. And you get to meet a lot of the Pearl Guide commenters, and some really great online vendors in person.
Yes I've read about Pearls by the Bay. Seems like all the events are on the West coast. Is there anything offered on the East Coast that you know of? I don't blame you for not wanting to fly. Same here.

Back