What size and color of freshadamas to get?

robinmce

Hi all'
I'm contemplating getting a strand of freshadama/ elite/ presidential/gem fresh pearls. I have a very casual life and feel maybe white would look more formal for me to get much wear from... but white is so classic. I feel torn. But I love multicolcor, pink, peach lavender also. What size color do you wear most. I wear my baroques a lot. Also what size is most wearable. I belong to the bigger is better school of thought :D but could only afford up to 8-9mm. Also set or necklace??? Any views would help me decide.

7-8mm is a good "middle of the road" size but if you like larger pearls then go with the 8-9mm. I know there are some on this forum that have no problem wearing 9mm+ pearls everyday.

I really prefer the larger pearls, but 8-9 are about the biggest I can afford. I have white freshadamas, but they do feel a bit formal to me, so I don't wear them as much as my multicolored pearls, both 8-9 rounds and larger baroques. I don't really do full sets, but I frequently wear necklace and earrings (not necessarily matching - today I am wearing my multicolor baroques and my cream teardrop earrings)

I don't go anywhere where I need to dress up. I have white Freshadamas (7-8mm) and other white CFWP and do wear them sometimes, but mostly I wear my 8-9mm round exotics (which are multicolored). They go with most of my clothes. With a black top I'll put on my 11-11.5mm dyed circl? peacock CFWP.

Since I want to promote pearls of all kinds, I never hesitate to wear my larger pearls for every day. Personally I do understand that it is expensive to get Freshadamas larger than 8 - 9 mm, but this size is not sooo large that it would be disturbing to be seen on you..

Go for coloured if you think they are more casual - on the other hand there are so many consumers out there, having no knowledge about pearls whatsoever and they just might think you coloured pearls are fakes but perhaps think of white pearls as being the real thing - and what nicer than a fine freshwater strand to prove to all people how far industry got in getting such quality out of our common mussels!:)

I've often professed my love for lavender pearls, and yes, they are my (current) favourite, but for a first set of "wow, these make e feel good" pearls - particularly if you are looking at the gem quality from the online sellers - I'd go for white every time... I wear them with everything from jeans and Tshirts to black dinner dresses - you just can't go wrong! Now for size.... 8 - 9 would be fab if it's in the budget. And overtones..... talk to the sellers!

A bit of a postscript. Regarding sets..
If I am wearing largish pearls on a strand, I go for small stud earrings to wear with them. If a drop pearl on a necklace, then larger stud earrings. But I LOVE the look of large, dangle earrings too - I just can't pull them off when I am wearing pearls around my neck - I'm a bit too short and it's all a bit too busy - so I save these for the times when 1 or 2 pearl bracelets can be added to the outfit! Don't think I would ever do the whole suite of pieces together. Lucky you - it's a good decision to be making!

A few months ago, PP had a monthly special........ 8-9 mm, white, gem quality, CFWP. The price was around $300. I bought one and it is beautiful. Just a suggestion........ call them and ask if they have any still available. :)

Gail

I don't go anywhere where I need to dress up. I have white Freshadamas (7-8mm) and other white CFWP and do wear them sometimes, but mostly I wear my 8-9mm round exotics (which are multicolored). They go with most of my clothes. With a black top I'll put on my 11-11.5mm dyed circl? peacock CFWP.

I can see why you are partial to the exotics. They are exceptional!!! I drool over the pics and if I had any They would rarely leave my neck.

I think price limits me to 8-9mm so that is decided at least!
Pearlgully, if there is another special of gem or freshadamas I will be in.

Another question....Is the difference between AAA and freshadama very noticeable. I love orient on pearls and am a bit more forgiving on roundness.

I don't find it easy at all to see orient in my Freshadamas. Really, I can see it better when photographing them under a daylight spectrum lamp, but with the naked eye, not really. I see it much easier in my baroques.

Gem quality are Freshadama quality minus the orient. AAA have somewhat less luster when seen enlarged in a close-up photo (I'm basing that on a photo of the two side by side which Kristen emailed me), but someone here has posted that at arms-length away (the distance from which most people would view them on you) the luster is very good. Certainly AAA costs a lot less. In the photo they looked round, too.

Last edited:
robinmce in my experience the orient is noticable for me in Freshadama vs. gem quality. The Freshadama just pop more and are more shiny. However, I have found that there can be a tradeoff between orient/luster and cleanness and roundness. The gem quality that Jeremy has but doesn't actively market is exceptional and I found more clean and round (I got the special someone earlier was talking about), while the Freshadama clearly had the edge in orient and luster but were not as clean or round as the gem quality that we specifically experienced. For us, clean and round mattered a bit more than orient. And truthfully at arms length 5% deviation from round (Freshadama) is something impossible to notice.

robinmce:
You ask good questions. I'm learning every day on the Guide, from everyone here. I have both Freshadama, which I adore and which have great orient, and gem quality, also from PP. I love both. Being a major Freshadama fiend, I am almost ashamed to admit that I do love my gem quality pearls equally. The salmon color is superb, and I get compliments on the double strand every time I wear it. On my original Freshadama necklace, which Natalie put together for me, I also get compliments on with each wearing and the colors are soft and easy on the eyes. The orient is easy to see in most lights. The gem quality pearls are so fine that I do not mind that they are not very orienty. The color and form is so great that I don't miss it.
Hope that helps;

barbie

PS I also have keishi which are very orienty and don't know thing one about being round. They are lots of fun. But the gem quality are worth it and the Freshadama are definitely worth every penny!

I don't find it easy at all to see orient in my Freshadamas. Really, I can see it better when photographing them under a daylight spectrum lamp, but with the naked eye, not really. I see it much easier in my baroques.

Gem quality are Freshadama quality minus the orient. AAA have somewhat less luster when seen enlarged in a close-up photo (I'm basing that on a photo of the two side by side which Kristen emailed me), but someone here has posted that at arms-length away (the distance from which most people would view them on you) the luster is very good. Certainly AAA costs a lot less. In the photo they looked round, too.

I have to say that of all my Freshadama strands there are not one that shows a clear orient if not under a special lamp but the luster and overtone is superior to the other qualities with one exception: it must be about 2 years ago I bougth 8-8,5 mm freshwaters in grade AAA (one with silver overtone and one with rose) and they rival every Freshadama but my double-row one) reg. luster, perhaps not quite in roundness, but seen from 1 m no one would be able to detect it, I think. Those 2 strands are still my favourites despite their being "only AAA without orient"...;)

Back