What kind of natural?

I didn't weigh in on this pearl, even though I saw the banding, because I've been feeling lately that my negative attitude about predicting naturals from photos has been discouraging people.

Dave, a true scientist uses facts and not fancy. You did exactly that and had no problem publicly reassessing your conclusion - very admirable.

Andrea, I still think it's a cool pearl. The thick nacre makes it a winner. (The bands are only visible when turned so the light travels along the layers. The light coming through the bands closes off as the pearl is turned.)

Dave, when I go back to the first page I can see that downward striping pattern-ish in the first photo but not in the second. Does that indicate a cultured pearl or are you saying that you think it could be one spp vs another but natural?

I'm saying I have concerns this pearl is not natural. That doesn't necessarily make it so, however. I'd like to see more views from other angles, but it's been refashioned. There's no need to undo that unless you're being speculative of value and even then, some ambiguity may remain.

Just FYI, my methodology employs the differential diagnostic system. This system is used to identify the presence of an entity where multiple alternatives are possible. Then through a process of elimination, reduce them to their lowest negligible probabilities. In most cases, I rarely have all of the evidence before me, so much of what I do is hypothetical and therefore processed to be true or false, by weighing the plausibilities.

As you've undoubtedly noticed, I score points to include and exclude liklihoods. Unless it's glaringly obvious, I'm reluctant to dwell on conclusions because with pearls (especially from photos I did not take), it's easy to be wrong. My opinions are based on how I lean toward ascertaining decisive factors.

I'm a fond defender of even the most undesirable of pearls. To me, there are no ugly pearls. Each and every one, cultured or natural are wondrous creations. In any form, they speak volumes if we open our minds, not just our eyes or hearts.

Irrespective of origin, your pearls never fail that. A remarkable and inspirational collection, indeed.

Yes, a remarkable collection, for sure. :)

Think of the banding like venetian blinds that are open. The light is controlled by the angle of the blinds. Does that make any sense?

Yes, a remarkable collection, for sure. :)

Think of the banding like venetian blinds that are open. The light is controlled by the angle of the blinds. Does that make any sense?

Blair, yes! That visual makes a lot of sense to me.

Dave, as always, your responses are thoughtful and enlightening. It doesn't matter much to me if this pearl is natural or cultured, but I want to understand what it is that I'm seeing and what the possible interpretations are. I would love to hear about your process of elimination and scoring system, unless it's proprietary and you can't share those details. That and I need to read that paper you posted in the candled naturals thread. But this has all been a great education. I can try to take candled photos with the wire still in, but if it doesn't work I can take the wire out. It's not a big deal.

I would love to hear about your process of elimination and scoring system, unless it's proprietary and you can't share those details.

There's nothing proprietary about it. I enjoy education, transparency and discovery every bit as much as new technology research and development.

Grading cultured pearls is a bit like using the differential system, because value is based on eight points. The industry calls the perfect pearl an 8 way roller. Meaning pearls that meet size, color, luster etc. roll down an inclined plane in a line within a specific tolerance. Initially, the value of any pearl is set at the maximum retail ability. Then the process of elimination demerits each point and subsequently halves the value. Seven downgrades are significantly exponential. Pairs or matched sets increase value. Unique shapes, especially those that resemble other objects can also increase value.

One can easily realize cultured pearl grading has little to do with evaluating naturals, but many of the standards will apply nonetheless. Luster and size for sure, shape surface quality not so much.

As far as identification goes, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of patterns. For example, (I realize I promised some pictures of blisters earlier... they are coming). if I see one blister, cool. I'll observe it then speculate to it's creation. If I see two or more examples of the same thing, we have a pattern. In archaeology, it's often said that 99% of the value is lost if the artifact is removed without records or anthropological assessment. The same can be said about one pearl before us, we have little or no data to base an identification. All we have, is the knowledge of other patterns and how they may or may not apply to the issue at hand.

Again, this is why I cannot overstate the importance of meticulous scrutiny in natural pearls. Most purveyors of natural pearls have never set foot on the reef, breathed from a tank, nor observed mollusks in the wild. Even among the most savvy enthusiasts, all we have is our very best guess, if you will. Pearls can be deceptive and moreover people are hugely deceptive if not woefully misinformed. I respect collectors who understand and convey that they may, on occasion be mistaken by offering no term refunds or exchanges.

That said, when one takes into account the skullduggery of illegal harvesting or knowingly selling under the guise of something it's not, natural pearl appraisals must begin from the premise that every pearl is cultured or poached. It is only after all points of those techniques are removed by the process of elimination, can we begin to assume pearls are natural and legal. Even then, unless you harvest them yourself, you'll just never know for sure.

My guru and mentor is the late Ed Ricketts, the infamous marine biologist immortalized by John Steinbeck in his book Cannery Row. Though we've enjoyed the exclusive access to the same outer shores, his philosophy of the ecology is my philosophy for pearls and pearl farming technology. Observation, speculation then replication. It's as simple as that.

One person's value, is another person's expense. I prefer to incorporate the two. While I gain value from knowledge and advancement, I lose value in labour and costs. That's why I bundle other ecological studies with my pearl work to pay the bills. It advances higher learning and allows me access to otherwise unavailable or unmarketable resources.

I find it very difficult to sell pearls for what I believe them to be worth. Irrespective of value, gifting beautiful gems to a deserving person or treating one's self are much of what it's all about and if there is a profit to be made by it, terrific. If not, there remains many rewards. This is why many pearl farmers hang on to losses or marginal gains. The ability to get out into nature and work our magic is nature's gift to us.

Last edited:
Dave, I've taken the pendant apart to take X-Y-Z dimension photos. Here they are!

Attachments

• DSCN2767 (491x469).jpg
    DSCN2767 (491x469).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2770 (491x414).jpg
    DSCN2770 (491x414).jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2771 (491x376).jpg
    DSCN2771 (491x376).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2772 (491x399) (2).jpg
    DSCN2772 (491x399) (2).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2772 (491x399).jpg
    DSCN2772 (491x399).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2773 (491x479).jpg
    DSCN2773 (491x479).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2774 (491x457).jpg
    DSCN2774 (491x457).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2777 (491x458).jpg
    DSCN2777 (491x458).jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN2778 (491x421).jpg
    DSCN2778 (491x421).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2781 (491x460).jpg
    DSCN2781 (491x460).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2782 (491x442).jpg
    DSCN2782 (491x442).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2784 (491x454).jpg
    DSCN2784 (491x454).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 39
Andrea good photos but clean the drill holes with the mini "toothbrush". The drill holes might be very telling. Beautiful pearl.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Great photos!

Okay, now I'm certain this is a beaded pearl.

The last three images clearly show the lines and contrasts of a washboard mussel.

Also, the patches of where we see color shift, are only just below the surface at equal depth.

Sorry to disappoint, but if anything we've learned things and gained a conclusion outside the lab.

Thank you for being so diligent!

No disappointment here, it's still a beautiful old pearl that looks lovely with my emerald neck chain! In the last photo I can see where the color shifts and where the bead surface is. The nacre looks pretty thick!
Does a washboard mussel usually mean cultured? I don't know much about cultured pearls, but is the washboard mussel one of the standard species for saltwater pearl culturing?

I don't know much about cultured pearls, but is the washboard mussel one of the standard species for saltwater pearl culturing?

Yes, as are pig toe mussels. They prevail in American rivers. They are highly desirable for several reasons. Generally, most saltwater mollusks have thin shells, freshwater are thick. They are produced in significant volumes from Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers. Once ground into a bead, they polish very smooth. A very important thing, because any flaws in the bead will be reflected in the finished pearl. They are also drillable, which is why glass or ceramic is not used. Likewise, as Jeremy put it a while back, have a similar thermal coefficient to ocean pearls and tend to not explode when drilled. Other than being endangered, this is the reason why heavier ocean mollusks like giant clams are not used.

So much good information here, Dave! Based on what you've mentioned it sounds like these two mussel species are not used nowadays much or at all, is that right?

Another of the same image, showing the initiating event, aka graft. It's contoured on a plane equal to the geometry at the edge of the bead, not at the center of the nucleus.

bead graft1.jpg

Just for clarification, if this were a natural pearl one would expect to see the initiating event at or near the center of the pearl, depending on the shape of the pearl?

Just for clarification, if this were a natural pearl one would expect to see the initiating event at or near the center of the pearl, depending on the shape of the pearl?

That's right, especially in mononuclear pearls. That's a pearl formed around a single event. All culture pearls are intended to be mononuclear. There are polynuclear pearls, where one or more pearls stick together into single pearls, but candling can reveal that too. In nature, it happens more often in mussels than oysters. Some mussels can have dozens, even thousands of nuclei. Oysters can have one, two or few more stuck together.

Here's what some of my multinukes look like.

multinuke_light.jpg
multinuke_flower.jpg
multinuke_sem.jpg

Back