What excites you about pearls?

Sueki, out of curiosity, what came first the love of iridescent objects or the passion for pearls?

Caitlin, something tells me you are yet to meet a gem quality pearl that you didnt like, regardless of its shape :)

I am sure I will get this wrong, but I am thinking it is the one on the bottom. Be sure to let me know that I was wrong... :)

We've always been big believers in the exceptional value of Freshwater. It is a big part of our passion for it. While the gem quality prices do not compete with Akoya, the gem quality itself often can.

Oh, sorry :) I'm thinking that is the FW...

I am a big fan of changing the terms to "wild" pearls and "farmed" pearls. I am constantly educating people about pearls, and I love learning about them. I think one of the things that attracted me initially was the passion of the people here. I had to see what that was all about.

While they are likely more accurate terms, the last thing I think we need to do is confuse the issue any farther :)

The passion of the people here is evident, everyone has also been extremely welcoming to a newbie such as myself.

Ta daa! You are correct! What made you choose it- the orient? That's the hint. It's the one with orient. (a term that has been debunked around here, but what's good enough for Tavenier, is good enough for me.)

Now its your turn to answer your question.:D

Sheryl, I am so glad you are here! You have so quickly become a centerpiece of this forum! I always call natural pearls "wild, natural pearls" I like farmed to. Lets start using it, because once a customer learns it, it is so easy!

PS farmed is easier to type than cultured, saves a couple of letters.....

Last edited:
To my eyes (which are admitted not good enough yet) that creamy, yet silvery luster where you feel like you need sunglasses always reads as FW to me. You can see that level of luster in Akoya, but not usually the creamy overtone.

My opinion is close to yours, akoyas never have iridescence in the round ones, but it does happen in the folds of the baroque ones.

Now its your turn to answer your title question.
biggrin.gif

True, but there are those who really value the whiter high luster akoya over the creamier high luster FW... I am always partial to the brighter the better :)

As for the title question, my family has been in pearls for three generations and my time with pearls has been a major evolutionary period(especially the Freshwater Pearls we focus on). Seeing things change from rice crispys of my childhood to 9MM Near round drop dead gorgeous pearls has been a thrill.

However, where most people (my father included) have always been drawn to the raw material, I have always been drawn to the finished jewelry. I am in no way shape or form a designer, but I love seeing what talented people can do with pearl and metal combination and more recently with pearl color combination's.

I took this photo recently and it sums up a lot of what excites me about pearls these days:

3740769140_e171b55fc4.jpg

As for my motivation for joining hte board, one of my more recent goals is to develop my eyes and knowledge on the raw goods and PG seems like a great resource of experts for those looking to learn more.

Well, those coins just happen to be nuked coins, so not my favorite, though they are popular in general. I have seen too many at the back tent shows like the G&LW that are chipped and show the bead or the bead never got quite covered. What that shows me is this happens often.

The little girl in black pearls is just too cute!

Since I am no longer in natural, wild pearls' league, the solid nacre CFWP are the best substitute. They stand on their own merits.

Absolutely, I just love the colors in that shot (obviously we helped nature along there a bit as well). I know the low quality coins you are talking about and sadly they give some of the better quality nucleated coins a very bad name.

That being said, I totally agree on the tissue nucleated Freshwater, in fact our baroque and ringed (I think you guys call them circled on here) pearls often are more popular and more affordable than the nucleated coin counterparts.

As for the girl in the black pearls, I believe that is Donna from our store in NYC's niece... though I cannot remember for sure. One of these days I will have to post a shot of my daughter from her visit to our store... she fell in love with one of our gelato ropes and would not take it off! Gotta love that she connected to pearls at the ripe old age of one :)

I'm not a coin fan either, and personally don't use dyed pearls. Like your father, Michael, I am so drawn to the raw materials. I love designing and making, but I am often distracted because I just take everything out and look at it and never do anything else. I love the variety and uniqueness of each pearl, and also the exotic places of origin. My favorite FWs are second harvest. I love the colors, iridescence and the unusual shapes. I'm nervous about bead nukes in FWs because I don't see it as necessary, but at the same time, my favorite favorites are Tahitians. I understand the need for bead nuking them, and I appreciate the nacre requirements, but mostly they just speak to my soul.
Thanks for you kind words, Caitlin! School started a few weeks ago, and I've been reading here more than writing.

That really is the beauty of pearls, that they can speak to each of us in such a different way! *Especially with the coins, I've always found that people either love or hate them with very few neutral opinions.

As for the bead nucleated pearls, I don't know if I can argue the necessity of them, but from a retail standpoint it is nice to offer Tahitian an SS sizes to an audience who could never possibly afford those kinds of price tags. *

Personally I prefer this to someone trying to get the same that look with simulated pearls or costume jewelry.

Michael,
--
it is concerning how much the general pearl loving population can misunderstand pearls.

But even more concerning is how many jewelers have not stayed current and constantly give out wrong information; stories abound on this forum------

The little girl in black pearls is just too cute!
Caitlin, where is this photo?

My favorites as far as pearls--right now--because their unique shapes and amazing colors, are the fw keshi--some of the frankly dyed have amazing colors and are great fun for the $. Love the SS keshi, but very difficult to find affordably. Baroque Tahitians and Tahitian keshi are way up there also! Always a fan of the baroques, yes, even the bead nuked, thick nacred SS platinums and Sea of Cortez, always, always Sea of Cortez!!

Blame it all on my Grandpa, who gave me 2 huge conch shells and a plate sized abalone shell as a baby--I adored the varied and iridescent colors--and listening to the sea!

So I was imprinted at an early age, LOL!

Caitlin,
Sorry, I misled you; I topcoated the painted walls with a clear glaze that has coloured sparkles in it.
But it has the effect of iridescent glass - rainbow colours that shimmer as the light or the person moves....

Michael,
The iridescence fascination came first; dad had a shell whose mother of pearl coating inside was just so beautiful and I remember, still, being entranced by the ever changing colours and efffects.

Pattye,
Yes, the Sea of Cortez pearls are amazing. For me, I think they are the pearls that come closest to the mother of pearl in that shell so many years ago.
Oh, and the freeform baroque akoyas too....:)

But then again, I love Tahitians too.......

No hope, no hope,......:D

Pattye - most of the time I think it is a matter of lack of knowledge rather than dishonest pratices (not that either is excusable). The enhanced colors are great, but you are right... disclosure is key!

Completely forgot to mention Keshi earlier, some of the FW keshi we are seeing lately have increadible luster. Dont know how you will ever get over the Sea of Cortez though... that is a tough habit to break!

Sueki, nice to see that it was MOP that helped kick off your passion for pearls :)

Well, this thread has pulled me up short...:)
It's iridescence every time for me.

I hadn't realised quite how entranced I am by it either, until this thread made me think about it.
...iridescent paint on my bathrooom walls.

So, it looks as though I'm a lost cause....:D

Oh my goodness... so I'm not the only one...

I painted 30cm wide vertical stripes of pearl, alternating with plain matte cream facing me as I come in at my front door. Still not satisfied, I did horizontal stripes on another narrow wall in the family room.
People tend to give me 'pearly' presents eg Capiz platters & bowls.

My earliest pearl memory is receiving a heart shaped pendant, with a 6mm round pearl from my uncle who traveled to Japan in the early 60's. (yes I was a baby then...) It made me feel like a princess.

Fast forward to a significant birthday 10 years ago, when I was asked to find myself some pearls, by my dear (& not long after that, late) husband. My instructions were, to get some special, heirloom pearls, to pass on to the grandchildren. (My boys were only 7 & 9 then...) I was very bored with the idea of perfect pea sized pearls, as well as feeling that, whilst it was a significant birthday, I was far too young and cool for 'matron's' pearls.
I ended up with a luminous strand of 11mm FW, slightly off round, which in my untrained eyes, made them look more 'real', from a direct from China/ party plan/ friend-of-a-friend. They were far more spectacular than I had ever hoped for, and about 1/3 of my budget!
Summoning my courage, having concluded that transaction, I asked the purveyor if she needed an agent in Melbourne, as I was moving there the next week. To my great surprise, she said yes!
And so began my passion. I sold great quantities of keshi style stretch bracelets & floating pearl necklaces, on fishing line and tigertail. (Well, it was the 90's...) and before long, ended up making them myself. (Yes, another lowly beader.) It's good to look back and see how far I have come, and now at PG, I see how much further there is to go.

It's the one with orient. (a term that has been debunked around here, but what's good enough for Tavenier, is good enough for me.)
As the debunker of reference, the intent has been to discourage the modern tendency to equate 'orient' with iridescence. This out of respect for Tavernier, whose actual observations might only be duplicated today in the vaults of Dubai.

The celebration of iridescence in this thread happily makes no such pretense—it is a universally loved natural phenomenon. My posts at Pearl-Guide have been punctuated with examples, such as our Roman tear vial unearthed in a Lebanese vineyard, and a 19th-century porcelain tea cup by Ohme in Upper Silesia:

Attachments

• Tears&Tea.jpg
    Tears&Tea.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It was only about a year and a half ago I was on vacation on Kauai - my first visit there - when I went into a jewelry store and was gobsmacked by a strand of multicolor freshwaters. I can't begin to describe how smitten I was. I couldn't get those pearls out of my mind. I salivated over just the idea of multicolor FWs. I eventually found my way to Pearl-Guide and began my pearl education. Also bought myself two FW pearl necklaces, one for my daughter, AND came up with the bright idea of giving each one of my nieces a FW pearl necklace when they become young ladies. Three nieces have received theirs and I have three more to go. Oh, and did I mention I left my old life in Minnesota behind and moved to Kauai where this pearl love affair began? I like to think it's all connected.

Quite the question!

Well, pearls are complicated - very improbable to ever get bored of the subject, there is ample pretext for contemplation after the 'wow' moment has gone (not that there is need for that, although the first impression never hurt a piece of jewelry, did it). This state of affairs would have been enticing enough. But then, I found this forum :cool: while interesting stories were (and still are) coming fresh from the pearl business, and the bits of jewelry suddenly got as good for wear as a great book!. In short, my earrings are very happy with the buzz between them...

Back