What excites you about pearls?

I remember illustrations like that!

I remember illustrations like that!

I haven't been posting much - things have been quite busy - but I will spare a few moments to jump in on this thread. I have always been fascinated by color and iridescence, much like most folks here. (Bugs! Rocks! Shells! Feathers! The aforementioned carnival glass and iridescent tea sets!) I also have a strong love for stargazing, and the connection between the moon and pearls is obvious. However, when I was but a bitty babe my very favorite book told the adventures of a family of tabby cats who sail to the tropical isles and meet "the queen all covered in pearls" and who kindly sends her divers to fetch pearls for her visitors. I have coveted them ever since!

Okay, back to exam prep :rolleyes:

Pearl Guide is definitely more fun!

Anyone else start loving pearls from their buttons? I was very little and had a coat and matching bonnet - the coat had large, thin MOP buttons that entranced me. To this day, certain things equal Grown-Up and Quality - MOP buttons, pearls, real White Leather GoGo boots (which I couldn't have! "impractical"), 100% wool, cotton, and linen, cashmere sweaters, and (politically incorrect now) mink.

AND Grown-ups ordered from catalogs (Sears, my dear).

I didn't suffer at all, having only the MOP buttons, 100% cotton, linen and wool, growing up, but little kids fixate on the strangest stuff.

This is a very interesting thread. However none of you my friends refered to "light". what other small object can catch light and reflect it so well. That was the aspect that started my long and lasting relationship with pearls.
The english language does not have a rich vocabulary that can discribe this magic. Bright, maybe shinning or brilliant.If there are other words I really would like to know since english is not my native language.
The Greek words that can desribe this phenomenon are:
Feggovolos,fotovolos,aktinovolos,fotavgis,foteros,lambros,apastrapton.

Akoya

Interesting answer/point of view. What are some of the small objects that caught your eye?

Caitlin,

In reference to scale of objects that reflect light I'd refer to Pearls for small and the marbles of Parthenon for big.

Thanks
akoya

I remember coveting those go-go boots! :)

Chortle! Did you get them? Did you get them? My sweet parents compromised by buying me lined, white plastic snow boots! Ack! practical! no heels!
Well, I was only in 6th grade, and would've looked kind of silly with heels and a snowsuit.

This is a very interesting thread. However none of you my friends refered to "light". what other small object can catch light and reflect it so well. That was the aspect that started my long and lasting relationship with pearls.
The english language does not have a rich vocabulary that can discribe this magic. Bright, maybe shinning or brilliant.If there are other words I really would like to know since english is not my native language.
The Greek words that can desribe this phenomenon are:
Feggovolos,fotovolos,aktinovolos,fotavgis,foteros,lambros,apastrapton.

Akoya

Radiant? Radiance? Shimmering?!?

I haven't been posting much - things have been quite busy - but I will spare a few moments to jump in on this thread. I have always been fascinated by color and iridescence, much like most folks here. (Bugs! Rocks! Shells! Feathers! The aforementioned carnival glass and iridescent tea sets!) I also have a strong love for stargazing, and the connection between the moon and pearls is obvious. However, when I was but a bitty babe my very favorite book told the adventures of a family of tabby cats who sail to the tropical isles and meet "the queen all covered in pearls" and who kindly sends her divers to fetch pearls for her visitors. I have coveted them ever since!

Okay, back to exam prep :rolleyes:

When I cited your quote I forgot to say - I remember those illustrations! What a lovely reminder.

Back