What do you think?

It is hard to see the photos clearly, but from what I can see they look more like garbage-grade akoya than natural. The description leaves a lot to be desired as well. I would ask for the GIA or EGL natural certification.

It is hard to see the photos clearly, but from what I can see they look more like garbage-grade akoya than natural. The description leaves a lot to be desired as well. I would ask for the GIA or EGL natural certification.

Absolutely agree with Mr. Shepherd. There is less than a 1% chance that strand is natural.

The owner reports no certifications; and that she bought them new in 1965.

Tom Stern,MD

Last edited:
I'm not remotely in the market for them, but thought it was interesting that she would include the natural pearl lesson, and couldn't help wondering. Dr. Stern, did you email her for more information? I doubt it's a Ming's piece either. Ming's was a very fine jewelry store that was started in Honolulu by Wook Moon, a jewelry artist. He was primarily an ivory carver (legal then, of course) and all the pearl work that I've seen has used small Akoya types usually in clusters. Here's a link to a beautiful ivory and pearl brooch made by Mr. Moon. http://blogs.starbulletin.com/fashiontribe/is-it-mings-or-isnt-it-ids-at-all-collectors-show/
:)

Back