What do you think - Salt or FW Keshi

Yes, keshis are a by-product of the culturing process. I think it is also interesting to note your spelling of 'Keshi', as it is also acceptable. 'Keishi' is the Western phonetic spelling of the Japanese word 'keshi'. Keshi pearls are indeed almost always baroque pearls, with the exception that they have no nucleus.

In my last post I referred to "salting" the mollusks. It is widely believed that many farming operations now intentionally produce keshi, which strictly in a technical sense would no longer make them keshi. This is simply because there is a growing demand for the more unique, organic shapes.

Hi Ashley,

I do agree with you. With improving pearl culturing techniques and the farms getting a grip of their culturing process, I expect fewer and fewer keshis in the future. However, demand for keshis is rising because of their uniqueness which would no doubt make the farms intentionally produce keshis (technically not keshis). I especially like the ones formed when the nuclei is rejected and the mollusk still secretes nacre making free-form big keshis.

If I'm not missing something, I think we can never really tell when we buy FWs - if they're keshis or simply baroques as they are tissue activated and many pearls are cultured in a single mollusk at a single time (unless for FWs that are meant for bead nucleation, keshis as a by-broduct can be distinguished).

Last edited by a moderator:
perlas said:
Hi Ashley,
If I'm not missing something, I think we can never really tell when we buy FWs - if they're keshis or simply baroques as they are tissue activated and many pearls are cultured in a single mollusk at a single time (unless for FWs that are meant for bead nucleation, keshis as a by-broduct can be distinguished).

I tend to agree with you on this. If the nuclei is rejected, you have a keshi. But if the pearl is harvested, and the mollusk is returned to the pond, you also have a keshi... or is it a petal pearl depending upon the shape? How about those 'natural shapes', as they are so often referred to. Are they keshi or simply baroque? I personally believe this is determined by nothing more than shape. Keshi do not have a nucleus, right? Cultured freshwater do not really have a nucleus either. The donor graft is the catalyst of the pearl sac. The donor tissue creates the sac, it is not the instigator of the host. This tissue cannot be found in cultured freshwater, simply because it was never in there to begin with! So how is that different than a keshi.

I have seen lots of the uniquely shaped pearls referred to as keishis at shows. But also, those large 1 1/2" almost claw-like pearls have been called Biwa pearls. Is that a misnomer?

Keishis, by definition, are not cultured. This makes me wonder if definitions get "stretched" when types of pearls become more popular. As you said, Ashley, that some mollusks have been "salted" to create keishis.

I think you got it figured out, Judi! Sometimes they just put the "word" in the heading to draw us to a listing, and the other info in the body of the listing is correct, but also sometimes not.

Biwa is being incorrectly used to refer to a pearl that is generally bar or rectangular shaped.

Pattye

When dealing with freshwater pearls, the term keshi and Biwa are loosely used. 'Biwa' is certainly wrong, unless the purveyor is selling antiques. They are just basing the name on the shape. The sellers did not harvest the pearls...

Back