What do I have? Interested in your thoughts

Laura1

Hello community.

I’m new to this forum and I wondered if anyone would mind giving me their opinion on what pearls I have? I think they’re very beautiful and were left to me by my dear late grandmother in law. I believe they were gifted to her over 50 years ago, possibly on a holiday to the Seychelles.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo73183.jpg
    photo73183.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • photo73184.jpg
    photo73184.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • photo73185.jpg
    photo73185.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
Good morning Laura1 and welcome to our pearl loving forum!

I will give you my honest opinion, but I do hope we will have more than just mine.

Without having the pearls in my hand and not being able to tell their size...the "black ones" look like dyed freshwater pearls to me, and the white ones also look like baroque freshwater pearls. To me they look like those that were commonly available in the mid 1990s up to to about 2010.

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for your response. That’s very interesting because the only thing I can be certain of is that these pearls were purchased before 1980.

I guess they aren’t of any value then but that’s absolutely fine because they were loved by her and I think they’re just lovely to look at :)

They could be from an earlier time, but I basically started my career in pearls in 1992 so I have this period quite set in my memory and these kind of pearls were common at that moment, but perhaps also in the 1980s (I remember only Akoya and Rice Krispies from that period).

And ultimately: the value of many things is sentimental, and it may be the MOST VALUABLE factor for many (me included! :eek: )

I had the same immediate impression about the black pearls-- dyed freshwaters-- and furthermore, I don't see what else they could be.

The white strand also looks like baroque freshwater pearls that would have been sold in the 1990s or later.

And I totally agree about sentimental value!

Happy to be of help!

I also remember dyed and baroque freshwater pearls of that shape in the 1990s. I don't remember pearls that shape in the 1980s.

Back